People's Opinions Changing Concerning Jimmie Johnson

Thank you but I prefer the Martinsville dogs.

martinsville%20hotdog.jpg

I like Chicago Dogs the best and when I get one I always tell them to drag it through the garden. I need a bib when I have one lol.

One sitting here.
Another one sitting here.
In it's history, NASCAR has produced many great drivers like e.g. Lee Petty, Joe Weatherly, Ned Jarrett, David Pearson, Cale Yarborough, Darrel Waltrip, Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson and Tony Stewart.
But there are just 2 drivers in history I call legends and these drivers are Richard Petty and Dale Earnhardt.
In my opinion there will never be another driver like Petty or Earnhardt. and I personally hope, there will never be another seven time Cup Series champion.
Nothing against JJ, but I just don't see him in a row with Petty and Earnhardt.
I think Richard Petty and Dale Earnhardt are the greatest NASCAR drivers ever and these two were way better than any other NASCAR drivers in history.

Yes, my opinion of him has changed now that he is not winning all the time.

I think that he's still won about as much as everybody. Even since 2014, only two or three drivers have won more than him and it's by no more than a race or two..I THINK

Are people willing to say, that Jimmie has been the most talented driver in cup? More talented in his prime than Kyle, Harvick, etc?
IMO, Jimmie Johnson has been the best of his era, and it's not even close. His race wins and championships say it all. I'm not a fan of the 48, but I appreciate and respect his greatness.

I also think it is an error to describe JJ as the "most talented" of his era, because talent alone is not enough. There are many ways to squander talent... for example lack of a good work ethic, lack of focus, poor decision-making, immaturity, etc. And that says nothing of the team, the car, the crew chief. JJ has had it all, the talent and plus these other attributes, and has performed at a level higher than anyone else for a long time.

Regarding the manufacturer most people could not tell one from another without the aid of decals and prefer to support individual drivers or teams regardless of what decals the vehicle carries

Many of these people are going away, right? Maybe this is part of the problem. Perhaps instead of trying to change the sport, maybe we should change the way we watch. My two cents.

Regarding the manufacturer most people could not tell one from another without the aid of decals and prefer to support individual drivers or teams regardless of what decals the vehicle carries. If people are Kevin Harvick fans there will not be a mass exodus or influx of fans next year just because a blue oval decal festoons his ride.
I am sure you are well aware that there are two types of NASCAR fans( well more, but for my reply, sticking with two), the ones that are fans of the drivers first, and does not give a rats rear end what manufacture they may drive , and the ones that are care about the manufacture first and will be a fan of a driver for that make.

Not that it matters , I have no issues telling a Camry from a Chevy SS from a Fusion without the aides of stickers.

In it's history, NASCAR has produced many great drivers like e.g. Lee Petty, Joe Weatherly, Ned Jarrett, David Pearson, Cale Yarborough, Darrel Waltrip, Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson and Tony Stewart.
But there are just 2 drivers in history I call legends and these drivers are Richard Petty and Dale Earnhardt.
In my opinion there will never be another driver like Petty or Earnhardt. and I personally hope, there will never be another seven time Cup Series champion.
I think Richard Petty and Dale Earnhardt are the greatest NASCAR drivers ever and these two were way better than any other NASCAR drivers in history.

You forgot the Silver Fox

I didn't like Johnson when he started besting Gordon's accomplishments. But he earned my respect. And now he is one of many drivers I like.

That's actully pretty touching.

I hope to have a relationship like that with my children, when I have them one day

I know that I am off topic here, but one more thing.....My kid also told me that he can't get the taste of Jimmie winning when we were at Fontana out of his mouth, and he has to go to another race to get a Toyota win. Don't hate Jimmie, but nothing compares to the thrill of Kyle's last lap wins in 2013 & 2014. He wants that back. Passion. Love it. Could be a hard sell in Phoenix, but **** can happen. Back to my point which was off the point..... One reason why fans are leaving is because it takes time to share the sport with your kid--time that is hard to find in this day. When you are a parent....TAKE THE TIME! You don't get it back.

I appreciate the greatness, but man, I still don't like seeing that 48 win.

I think that he's still won about as much as everybody. Even since 2014, only two or three drivers have won more than him and it's by no more than a race or two..I THINK

Yeah. He had a few seasons winning like 7-10 races a year, now he's back down to 4-5 and "sucks" lol

I am sure you are well aware that there are two types of NASCAR fans( well more, but for my reply, sticking with two), the ones that are fans of the drivers first, and does not give a rats rear end what manufacture they may drive , and the ones that are care about the manufacture first and will be a fan of a driver for that make.

Not that it matters , I have no issues telling a Camry from a Chevy SS from a Fusion without the aides of stickers.
It amazes me that this is the only Motorsport I know of that doesn't have fans of the raceteams . I mean , some of these teams have been so great that they have won races with multiple drivers behind the wheel . I wonder if true greatness might be seen as being able to win with multiple race teams .

It amazes me that this is the only Motorsport I know of that doesn't have fans of the raceteams . I mean , some of these teams have been so great that they have won races with multiple drivers behind the wheel . I wonder if true greatness might be seen as being able to win with multiple race teams .

I think there are plenty of fans that support teams like JGR, Penske and HMS. They may favor one driver over the others but still like the team. I like different drivers from different teams but I am looking for a good race more than anything.

I think there are plenty of fans that support teams like JGR, Penske and HMS. They may favor one driver over the others but still like the team. I like different drivers from different teams but I am looking for a good race more than anything.

True , but I think they are fans of the JGR 'brand' more than the race team . Could be mistaken , but I've never heard anyone other than the driver and sometimes the crew chief mentioned on here . It's like all of the credit for a win or a loss is solely on the driver .

LOL!!!!! HahahahahahahahahahahahahajahahahahahahahahahahajajJHHahahahahahahahahahahajajahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahajaha!!!!!!!!!!!

Earnhardt is being forgotten. Petty too. The 48 team HAS been the most dominant whether they win another race or title or not. Their titles and wins have been earned against 30-35 full time teams and drivers. Most well funded or associated with winning programs. As opposed to Earnhardts (and Petty) against 12 to 15 full time teams. Go back and look at how many teams raced every race in the years their teams won titles.
Plus, Jimmie wins with class and integrity. Not trying to be a bully and NASCAR penalizing every time the 48 plays in a gray area. They win in spite of the challenge of NASCAR bird dogging them.

Very much agree with the OP. The dominance that the 48 team had in the mid to late 2000's literally had me losing interest in cup races because he seemed like a lock before they even started. I hated them for that at the time but time has a funny way of putting perspective on things and now I am just happy I was able to witness one of the best teams of all time.

I've been pretty consistent on my opinion of Double J. When I think of him the word 'arrogance' comes to mind. That's the same feeling that I get when I think of Knaus. Arrogance is a trait that I don't care for in people. My opinion hasn't changed on him/them in the slightest.

I've been pretty consistent on my opinion of Double J. When I think of him the word 'arrogance' comes to mind. That's the same feeling that I get when I think of Knaus. Arrogance is a trait that I don't care for in people. My opinion hasn't changed on him/them in the slightest.

You did not just compare chad k to Donald j... lol

Chad, yes. Jimmie, no....no way.

That is a very interesting perception as I have heard JJ called vanilla or fake but never arrogant. When the word arrogant comes up as it relates to Nascar people I think of Brad Parrott, Rusty Wallace, Kyle Busch and Kevin Harvick.

Jimmie doesn't strike me as arrogant. I think he's a little bit more intense than he let's on, but he seems to be pretty emotionally intelligent, and aware of the way he's perceived, which is why he probably is referred to as vanilla. Jimmie seems like a strait up normal dude. I could see him working in an office, as a ceo, race car driver, server, and/or whatever else.

Jimmie doesn't strike me as arrogant. I think he's a little bit more intense than he let's on, but he seems to be pretty emotionally intelligent, and aware of the way he's perceived, which is why he probably is referred to as vanilla. Jimmie seems like a strait up normal dude. I could see him working in an office, as a ceo, race car driver, server, and/or whatever else.

You can tell that JJ has a competitive fire that burns deeply but unfortunately we have got to a place in life where some people value the traits of a jerk because they equate being a boor with being tough and passionate. I have lived long enough that I never thought I would see they day when being rude to others, name calling, throwing your co-workers under the bus and just being a horsesass in general would be thought of as good qualities in a person.

You can tell that JJ has a competitive fire that burns deeply but unfortunately we have got to a place in life where some people value the traits of a jerk because they equate being a boor with being tough and passionate. I have lived long enough that I never thought I would see they day when being rude to others, name calling, throwing your co-workers under the bus and just being a horsesass in general would be thought of as good qualities in a person.

I think you need to cut Harvick some slack.

My biggest hangup with Jimmie has always been that he seemed to fall into success with the best crew chief in the business. His lack of success in other series tends to back that up. But it's not possible to luck into 78 wins (makes me feel old that I've seen almost all of them) and six championships, even with the Chase. I definitely have gained respect for him over the years, and have to place him among the all time greats, even if begrudgingly. The other factors in people's opinion shift about Johnson are Earnhardt going to Hendrick, and the rise of Kyle Busch. It's hard to love Earnhardt while hating his Hendrick teammates for many fans, I believe. Moreover, there is a whole lot more to dislike about Kyle Busch, with his terrible attitude and grating entitledness than Jimmie Johnson, who is simply milquetoast.

My biggest hangup with Jimmie has always been that he seemed to fall into success with the best crew chief in the business. His lack of success in other series tends to back that up. But it's not possible to luck into 78 wins (makes me feel old that I've seen almost all of them) and six championships, even with the Chase. I definitely have gained respect for him over the years, and have to place him among the all time greats, even if begrudgingly. The other factors in people's opinion shift about Johnson are Earnhardt going to Hendrick, and the rise of Kyle Busch. It's hard to love Earnhardt while hating his Hendrick teammates for many fans, I believe. Moreover, there is a whole lot more to dislike about Kyle Busch, with his terrible attitude and grating entitledness than Jimmie Johnson, who is simply milquetoast.
I agreed with everything until....... there is a whole lot more to dislike about Kyle Busch :D

Would I like my granddaughters to marry someone who behaves like JJ, Dale Jr or Chase Elliott or would I prefer to go the Shrub route?

"One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong,
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?"

My opinion of Jimmie Johnson has never changed. I don't like the 48. Never have.

That said, I've always respected the talent of JJ, Chad and the boys. Best driver/CC combo I've ever seen. Johnson will go down as one of the 4 best drivers ever. I can acknowledge greatness and have never let personal fanboy bias get in the way of that.

This notion that JJ has become some kind of underdog now is absolutely absurd. Winner of 77 races and 6 championships...an underdog?? Give me a friggin break.

I still yawn when he takes the lead. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

But then we get to here all the tv networks cut to Knaus saying, "new leader, 48." Riveting television.

But then we get to here all the tv networks cut to Knaus saying, "new leader, 48." Riveting television.

Actually, it's always his spotter who says that.. I think.

Yeah, JJ lucked into the best crew chief in the business, but I still can't believe that's still a scapegoat. JJ is the one driving.

How many races have we seen JJ steal? Im on a JJ high

I still yawn when he takes the lead. I don't see that changing anytime soon.
So guess what happened yesterday. 48 took the lead, and I yawned. Checkers fell and I yawned and then turned off the TV. Yeah, my opinion of his hasn't changed, and I don't ever see that happening either.

So guess what happened yesterday. 48 took the lead, and I yawned. Checkers fell and I yawned and then turned off the TV. Yeah, my opinion of his hasn't changed, and I don't ever see that happening either.

People like what they like and don't like what they don't like but when it comes to the 48 team I have high regard for JJ and Chad as they have been a very good team right from the get go. Most teams will have a lull or fall off after a few years but not this bunch as when it appears they are on the ropes they work harder and figure out a way to get it done. I also like it that they don't whine and make excuses like drivers such as Shrub and Harvick.

One sitting here.

Honestly.

DO NOT compare them to Richard or Dale's 7.
And he has won less since nascar has kept an better eye on the cheating.

Petty didn't win all his titles under the same system either. Some of the early NASCAR points systems were pretty out there, like giving points based on the purse of the race. I hate the Chase, but Jimmie is just as much a six-time champ as anyone from the pre-Chase era.

My post took three weeks to get your attention?

Gotta try harder I guess.

My post took three weeks to get your attention?

Gotta try harder I guess.
You really have to be better at taking instruction, Clarence.

I've found bowing, scraping and backing out of the room to be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom