All Electric NASCAR Series on the Horizon

I highly doubt this happens but it’s just increasingly apparent there’s too much local resistance to this proposal from SMI. Which sucks, because I think a full NASCAR national series weekend at the renovated Fairgrounds in Nashville proper would really go gangbusters for the sport.

Wonder how many millions SMI and NASCAR have wasted on trying to get Nashville going for what? 4 years now? 5? At what point do you cut your losses and say "hey, the city doesn't want us to invest in their community, let's just race at the perfectly good track we already resurrected 30 minutes away"

Wonder how many millions SMI and NASCAR have wasted on trying to get Nashville going for what? 4 years now? 5? At what point do you cut your losses and say "hey, the city doesn't want us to invest in their community, let's just race at the perfectly good track we already resurrected 30 minutes away"
They want the whole thing for kick ball. Smith has almost promised to rebuild the whole damn city and that isn't enough.

Some nutty lady at one of the hearings a year or so ago said that all the F1 races bothered her dog.
And fireworks terrify my dog at Independence Day and New Year's Eve. Much to my personal disgust, I have to acknowledge there's nothing I can do about the noise. That's why the mutt has standing reservations at a remote kennel for those evenings. (Some holidays, I wish they'd let me stay there too.)

The whole noise argument is such an absurd one that I don't know whay any serious thinking person would give it five seconds of attention. They've been racing cars there since Ben Hur first climbed into a chariot, and the TOTAL NASCAR noise window would be what, 8 hours a YEAR IF Xfinity raced there too? Speedway Indiana residents have lived with racing noise for 115 years, and the world has yet to come to a halt.

The whole noise argument is such an absurd one that I don't know whay any serious thinking person would give it five seconds of attention. They've been racing cars there since Ben Hur first climbed into a chariot, and the TOTAL NASCAR noise window would be what, 8 hours a YEAR IF Xfinity raced there too? Speedway Indiana residents have lived with racing noise for 115 years, and the world has yet to come to a halt.
That and SMI have committed to noise mitigation measures like mufflers (including for local and regional events) and a sound-baffling wall along much of the track. The whole noise complaint is not really rooted in reality.

To be fair, these residents have a bit more coin than those. Anyone who’s been there knows it isn’t the greatest neighborhood by Indy

I’m pro-EV.

I would buy a hybrid first. For many reasons.

And if I ever went EV, there’s no way in hell I’d buy a Tesla. And I bet there are a lot of people like me who are open minded about EVs that wouldn’t buy a Tesla (which is what most people think of) because of Elon Musk.

From my understanding, the NextGen car is incredibly loud compared to NASCAR Cup cars of the past.

People inside the sport, in the pits every week, are complaining about it.

But the rest of us who are at racetracks every week need to suffer permanent hearing damage because some people think racing will die if the cars don’t blow your eardrums out.

I’ve seen the noise debate at short tracks too. Some tracks are required to run mufflers because of county laws.

The alternative is for those tracks to be shut down for good. But to many racers and fans, that’s better than getting to race.

Fans would say, “Race cars are supposed to be loud.”

They still are in the stands. But the fact that they’re not as loud in the pits or that you can no longer hear the cars 10 miles away means the sport is dead.

The people that live near a racetrack and complain about the noise are no different than the people that live near an airport and complain about the noise. But they didn't complain about how their house was cheaper because it was near the airport or track.

The people that live near a racetrack and complain about the noise are no different than the people that live near an airport and complain about the noise. But they didn't complain about how their house was cheaper because it was near the airport or track.
This.

However, racetracks also need to be good neighbors because the NIMBY crowd almost always wins in the end.

Deforestation is a large contributor too. Many of these tracks were out in the middle of nowhere, and now they’re in sprawling areas. The construction of housing developments and businesses right by them ends up allowing noise to travel even further when they cut acres upon acres of trees down.

It’s actually a problem in general, not just for racing. Counties love the property tax revenue too much to actually implement smart growth principles.

Overcrowded schools, highways with twice as much traffic as they can handle, not enough power and water infrastructure to service everyone in high demand periods, and so on.

And eventually, the people who move in will have skateparks, sandlots, and other recreational areas shut down because they don’t want to see “those damn kids” having fun. Same philosophy shuts the racetracks down too.

It's one thing for people to move near an existing track. It's another to have a track introduced in existing residential area, possibly lowering property values below what was originally paid.

It's one thing for people to move near an existing track. It's another to have a track introduced in existing residential area, possibly lowering property values below what was originally paid.

To me, running until 1-2am is disrespectful to the community no matter how long the track has been there.

The amount of tracks that run that late then respond to noise complaints with “we were here first” is crazy.

If an electric racing series is as fast and exciting as an ICE series, people will watch. When sanctioning bodies choose to nerf the cars for whatever reason (FIA & Formula E with the exceptionally stupid tire rules) then you cany be surprised that people don't rush to watch. It's an inferior product.

More street vehicles need mufflers and less NASCARs with mufflers lol.

I will listen to track noise complaints when neighborhoods and small towns get a handle on DudeBro's car audio and other boom box amplifiers.

Whole heartedly agree they can get annoying. Same with a lot of newer vehicles that aren’t hot rods.

To me, running until 1-2am is disrespectful to the community no matter how long the track has been there.

The amount of tracks that run that late then respond to noise complaints with “we were here first” is crazy.

But how often does that actually happen?

For all the Karens complaining about the "noise" at midnight, close your windows and turn on a fan or something. This is like folks who work third shift complaining about the daylight creeping through their windows when they try and sleep. Don't like it? Take appropriate measures to deal with it (blackout curtains are a thing), or change your lifestyle.

I live in Columbus, and we couldn't tear down a dilapidated baseball stadium near downtown and replace it with a racetrack because the poverty struck neighborhood next to it complained that the sound of race cars on a Saturday evening might drown out the sound of gunshots and police sirens. We also lost an incredible concert venue because the nearby residents complained about the noise, despite the fact that the venue was built before the neighborhood even existed. But of course it was torn down, and the land was sold, and now there's a stupid ****** IKEA in it's place.

So please forgive me if I have zero sympathy for any a**hole that wants to complain about noise from any form of public event. Don't like it? Move somewhere else, or have some common sense and figure out a simple solution. There's a hundred "white noise" apps you can download if it's really a problem.

But how often does that actually happen?

On the grassroots level, it happens a lot. ESPECIALLY on dirt. It's pretty common for dirt tracks to start their features at 10pm or later.

Watch some of the dirt races on MAVTV or Flo. Sometimes, those races on MAVTV don't even start until after the television window ends.

For all the Karens complaining about the "noise" at midnight, close your windows and turn on a fan or something.

This will never be the correct answer. And, again, the smug "we were here first" and "just deal with the noise Karen" is ultimately what dooms many of these racetracks.

There are plenty of racetracks that have support from their neighbors and local communities. There are tracks that nobody ever complains about the noise from because those tracks make every effort to get done at a reasonable hour. It even results in the community being forgiving if they have a race or two that runs until midnight or so.

This will never be the correct answer. And, again, the smug "we were here first" and "just deal with the noise Karen" is ultimately what dooms many of these racetracks.

There are plenty of racetracks that have support from their neighbors and local communities. There are tracks that nobody ever complains about the noise from because those tracks make every effort to get done at a reasonable hour. It even results in the community being forgiving if they have a race or two that runs until midnight or so.

Buys house near track
Complains about noise from track

But sure, it's the track's fault.

If you buy a house near the railroad, is it fair to call up CSX and ask them to reroute the tracks? Maybe if the homeowners complain enough, they won't run trains at night anymore :wacko:

Around here, the problem is the modified exhaust systems designed to make a car or truck louder than a Nitro Funny Car.
Here in the Greenville downtown area there is a $500 fine for excessive noise. I think that is to help with the restaurants that have a lot customers eating table-side out front.

Buys house near track
Complains about noise from track

But sure, it's the track's fault.

If you buy a house near the railroad, is it fair to call up CSX and ask them to reroute the tracks? Maybe if the homeowners complain enough, they won't run trains at night anymore :wacko:

Bad analogy. A train isn't making nonstop noise for 6+ hours. And, having lived next to train tracks before, it only bothers you the first few times just because it catches you off guard.

Again, if the track is done by 10pm or 11pm every week, they're going to get a level of forgiveness for the one or two times weather's delayed them. If a track isn't starting until 10pm or 11pm regularly, which is much more common than you think, it's already a very piss poor operation.

Here in the Greenville downtown area there is a $500 fine for excessive noise. I think that is to help with the restaurants that have a lot customers eating table-side out front.

They don't do **** about it around here. Literally the only thing they care about is speeding. You can deliberately run a red light in front of a cop and be fine as long as you're not going over 55 mph when you do it.

In fact, because laws don't get enforced around here, the wannabe "CoUnTrY bOyS" are jacking the front end of their trucks and SUVs again.

Bad analogy. A train isn't making nonstop noise for 6+ hours. And, having lived next to train tracks before, it only bothers you the first few times just because it catches you off guard.

Again, if the track is done by 10pm or 11pm every week, they're going to get a level of forgiveness for the one or two times weather's delayed them. If a track isn't starting until 10pm or 11pm regularly, which is much more common than you think, it's already a very piss poor operation.

I think it's a smart business decision for any racetrack to work with their local community, but there are so many idiots out there who just love to complain instead of finding a reasonable solution themselves. A lot of the people who whine about noise from a track would call up Mother Nature and complain about the weather if it were possible.

If I hate the cold, I'll move south. If I don't like the smell of garbage, I won't buy a house next to a landfill. These people are doomed by their own choices, and society needs to stop catering to the crybabies. If someone can't deal with the sound of race cars for a few hours on a Saturday night, that's their problem.

Back
Top Bottom