All Electric NASCAR Series on the Horizon

I disagree here. EVs are an emerging market and the OEMs are going to want to secure marketshare before people's preferences harden. The performance of that billboard is part of the package when you're trying to convince skeptical consumers that your product can perform, especially given the anxiety around EV performance that was expressed earlier in the thread.

Maximizing performance is where innovation will happen.
What do you say to Tesla who has already solidified an electric image based on performance, and did so with zero sanctioned motorsport involvement?

The EV series would probably fill the void left by the Goody's Dash Series. I'd be worried about the level of talent that it would attract though. I wouldn't mind seeing it just run short tracks, which should help boost ticket sales at some local tracks and give them an infusion of revenue.
Who's going to pay for the electric stockcars that are going to run these local short tracks?

What do you say to Tesla who has already solidified an electric image based on performance, and did so with zero sanctioned motorsport involvement?

I never said that motorsports were required for innovation, just that they're a good venue for it. And Tesla has the same performance issues that are common among EVs (which were discussed earlier in the thread).

The same people who would pay for them to run on bigger tracks?
You're saying it would boost ticket revenue for local short tracks. We talking local short tracks like Hickory and Concord? Because no teams are going to be interested in fielding a whole different type of car/powertrain at that level. $$$

I never said that motorsports were required for innovation, just that they're a good venue for it. And Tesla has the same performance issues that are common among EVs (which were discussed earlier in the thread).
They don't need to prove superiority in a NASCAR setting if they have already succeeded in persuading the buying public that they offer high-performance EVs. Other OEMs can do the same. Telsa succeeded by NOT being as constrained as traditional OEMs. A NASCAR sandbox goes against everything that Telsa has done.

I doubt Telsa is targeting the NASCAR audience. See also Ferrari or Mercedes or other high-falutin' brands.

Toyota runs the Lexus nameplate for sports car racing. GM runs Chevys in NASCAR and Cadillac in IMSA. Different series appealing to different buyers, with a different set of manufacturers competing against each other. Participants in a NASCAR EV series wouldn't be aiming at the same market at Tesla.

You're saying it would boost ticket revenue for local short tracks. We talking local short tracks like Hickory and Concord? Because no teams are going to be interested in fielding a whole different type of car/powertrain at that level. $$$

In theory, it would be what the Truck Series was in its first few years. But I recognize that may not be economically viable. If it isn't then I think it'd work best as a companion race at short tracks and road courses.

I think we're a long way off from having the tech to have an exciting EV race at a one mile or larger oval, at least for any sustained period of time. We'd end up with 30 lap exhibitions at relatively slow speeds, which would not be fun to watch. At least a short track or road course would be slower by its nature, which could allow for less battery usage and a longer race.

They don't need to prove superiority in a NASCAR setting if they have already succeeded in persuading the buying public that they offer high-performance EVs. Other OEMs can do the same. Telsa succeeded by NOT being as constrained as traditional OEMs. A NASCAR sandbox goes against everything that Telsa has done.

Direct your concerns to NASCAR, who apparently think that they have a convincing argument for EVs to get into their sandbox. If the OEMs are going to invest in a NASCAR run EV series, they're not going to rely on spec parts for the core elements of the EV series (the engine and battery). Part of marketing a new tech is wanting to actually showcase it.

NASCAR has been removing seats from the largest, most popular tracks on the schedule for decades.
They aren’t interested in selling ass seats. They have “evolved” into promoting their product to $$ media. The NFL still packs stadiums, NASCAR does not.
More pLaYoFfS!!!

In theory, it would be what the Truck Series was in its first few years. But I recognize that may not be economically viable. If it isn't then I think it'd work best as a companion race at short tracks and road courses.

I think we're a long way off from having the tech to have an exciting EV race at a one mile or larger oval, at least for any sustained period of time. We'd end up with 30 lap exhibitions at relatively slow speeds, which would not be fun to watch. At least a short track or road course would be slower by its nature, which could allow for less battery usage and a longer race.

Direct your concerns to NASCAR, who apparently think that they have a convincing argument for EVs to get into their sandbox. If the OEMs are going to invest in a NASCAR run EV series, they're not going to rely on spec parts for the core elements of the EV series (the engine and battery). Part of marketing a new tech is wanting to actually showcase it.
We already talked about this. It is about maintaining the *optics* of relevance to the audience.

They can’t see in front of them and they are a safety hazard. That’s why North Carolina banned the modifications.

These trucks are also so high off the ground that their lights blind people driving smaller vehicles - which causes another safety issue.

There’s been a surge of pedestrian deaths too over the past decade. Which the Institute for Highway Safety blames these big ass trucks for.

And too many kids want them so they can be macho manly men and “rule the road” and intimidate other drivers.
I googled and SC outlawed them too.

They also needed to be outlawed due to the frustration and heartache they caused the owners, creating a generation of angry young men.

Can you imagine a DudeBro going to Home Depot to pick up a load of lumber at the home depot only to discover that every board slid out on the way home even with the gate shut.

l-intro-1656618691.jpg

The EV series would probably fill the void left by the Goody's Dash Series. I'd be worried about the level of talent that it would attract though. I wouldn't mind seeing it just run short tracks, which should help boost ticket sales at some local tracks and give them an infusion of revenue.
This, I've seen a demonstration electric pavement late model, and a guy up here is working on a small electric dirt track car similar to his current slingshot cars picture for reference
comp.png

I googled and SC outlawed them too.

They also needed to be outlawed due to the frustration and heartache they caused the owners, creating a generation of angry young men.

Can you imagine a DudeBro going to Home Depot to pick up a load of lumber at the home depot only to discover that every board slid out on the way home even with the gate shut.

View attachment 74103
The guys that drive that garbage are accustomed to allowing easy access to their rear ends.

Benefits that are only obvious in hindsight. Go to newspapers.com and find a turn of the 20th century newspaper - there were people writing letters to the editor saying that the automobile wasn't going to take it off and was going to be restricted to hobbyists. It took government investment in roadways and the subsidizing of the fossil fuel industry to make the automobile into a viable option. It's easy to say these things with 100 years of hindsight. A person in 1910 could easily say that the existing road infrastructure doesn't facilitate long distance travel so the horse and buggy are the only viable transportation method.

As @cheesepuffs points out, there are some real challenges with EVs right now. The lithium production cycle is incredibly inefficient and our electrical grid is still powered by coal and fossil fuels. I think we can change both of these things. Racing will almost certainly demand a more efficient form of battery and our electrical grid is in dire need of modernization. Innovators can handle the former and the government needs to handle the latter. A lot of advancements in car tech came from racing, I don't see why EVs would be different.
The benefits of the automobile over the horse was obvious with anyone with a brain from day one. Horses are expensive and take an incredible amount of work to keep them around. They have very limited range, very limited speed, require stabling, food, water, shoeing, manure removal, hay storage, time to harness and unharness, the list goes on and on. The only thing that held automobiles back from taking over even more quickly was price and the need to be your own mechanic to keep them running. Henry Ford solved both of those issues. The only major innovations coming to EV's is range and charging time, and those (if and when they come) will only help put EV's on a more level playing field with IC vehicles, not advance them ahead of the competition. The comparison between horse and car and EV and IC doesn't hold up at all. When an EV can do something of real value that an IC cannot, I'll gladly revisit the argument.

When NASCAR reaches the level where the sport doesn’t matter, I’ll quit watching.
I used to know the schedule, what track was next. I used to watch qualifying and practice. I don’t know what’s next anymore and I don’t care who qualifies where.
The racing isn’t the same. It isn’t as good as it used to be. If you say it is then you don’t remember or you weren’t there.
I used to cut out everything in my life because the race was on, there wasn’t a DVR. It’s not the same.
I’m not a slave to the greed. Bums me out because I loved ACS…and the memories. And that is exactly what life is about; you’ll always remember better times. Just gonna be time to do something else.

When NASCAR reaches the level where the sport doesn’t matter, I’ll quit watching.
I used to know the schedule, what track was next. I used to watch qualifying and practice. I don’t know what’s next anymore and I don’t care who qualifies where.
The racing isn’t the same. It isn’t as good as it used to be. If you say it is then you don’t remember or you weren’t there.
I used to cut out everything in my life because the race was on, there wasn’t a DVR. It’s not the same.
I’m not a slave to the greed. Bums me out because I loved ACS…and the memories. And that is exactly what life is about; you’ll always remember better times. Just gonna be time to do something else.
"Nostalgia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good ole days"

We can all have our gripes here or there but listen, the racing today throughout the entirety of the race is so much more intense than it used to be. I remember a few years back during the Southern 500 Ken Squire just mesmerized at how they went at it in the corners. The cars also now reflect a muscle car for the first time in years & the rumble of the new exhaust is awesome.

NASCAR has been burned by two things really; loss of car culture & the rise of football. It's a damn pain anymore to change much more than a lightbulb or brakes on your vehicle anymore, and men don't want Camaro's and Mustangs anymore as we're all opting for trucks. Add to that the death of the sedan for these neutered mini SUV's and you have a very different car culture than even 20 years ago.

Football has also become so much larger than it ever was, the 2022 CFB National Championship had 22M viewers.

NASCAR has been burned by two things really; loss of car culture & the rise of football.

The way big trucks have taken over, I almost wonder if it'd be more beneficial for NASCAR to prop up the Craftsman Truck Series more. But even then, those trucks in that series look nothing like these gargantuan things on the road.

I can see electric cars in drag racing but I can't see them racing for any distance longer than a full charge at full throttle will allow.

"Nostalgia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good ole days"

We can all have our gripes here or there but listen, the racing today throughout the entirety of the race is so much more intense than it used to be. I remember a few years back during the Southern 500 Ken Squire just mesmerized at how they went at it in the corners. The cars also now reflect a muscle car for the first time in years & the rumble of the new exhaust is awesome.

NASCAR has been burned by two things really; loss of car culture & the rise of football. It's a damn pain anymore to change much more than a lightbulb or brakes on your vehicle anymore, and men don't want Camaro's and Mustangs anymore as we're all opting for trucks. Add to that the death of the sedan for these neutered mini SUV's and you have a very different car culture than even 20 years ago.

Football has also become so much larger than it ever was, the 2022 CFB National Championship had 22M viewers.

Have to say, I, disagree with your two points.

Car culture is still alive and well, if anything it’s more saturated. How many car shows are on TV now? 3/4 Roadkill variants, multiple “customizing” ones ( some are complete garbage, like Texas metal ), numerous how to’s…Meacum and Barrett Jackson command whole afternoons dedicated to a show highlighting vehicles that most watching could only dream about buying.

When I was just a kid…glasspacks, air shocks, traction bars and a Holley DP. Then came the Fox body revolution….underdrive pulleys, Flowmasters, GT40 intakes ( yawn ). Now it’s tuners, turbos and fart cans.

Instead of Burt and Trans Ams, it’s Vin, a Mopar, and numerous imports.

NASCAR’s decline was largely due to, imo, over expansion and the Great Recession.

Nascar could swap cars/batteries during the already planned stage breaks.
For a little extended chaneover non racing time they could call it a milk and cookies break to plug whatever snack brand they are enjoying during the car/battery swaps.

NASCAR’s decline was largely due to, imo, over expansion and the Great Recession.

I think the late-2000s decline is a combination of several things going wrong. Over-expansion and The Great Recession are two important points, but there are some more factors.

Jimmie Johnson
The Car of Tomorrow
Terrible television coverage

Car culture is still alive and well, if anything it’s more saturated. How many car shows are on TV now? 3/4 Roadkill variants, multiple “customizing” ones ( some are complete garbage, like Texas metal ), numerous how to’s…Meacum and Barrett Jackson command whole afternoons dedicated to a show highlighting vehicles that most watching could only dream about buying.

I don't think the car culture is dead, but television's a poor argument here.

Much of the car shows on CNBC and USA are leftovers from NBCSN and most will certainly disappear soon.

Mecum has been relegated from NBC/NBCSN to MotorTrend. Barrett Jackson's been relegated from Fox/SPEED to History Channel (occasionally) and FYI, whatever that is.

Motorsports programming itself, however, is a key factor for any sports channel. Numerous networks have been propped up by motorsports: ESPN with Speed World in the 1980s, TNN with NASCAR, NASCAR on FX in 2001, FS1 was literally SPEED, NBCSN, even CBS Sports Network relies heavily on motorsports.

I don't think the car culture is dead, but television's a poor argument here.

Much of the car shows on CNBC and USA are leftovers from NBCSN and most will certainly disappear soon.

Mecum has been relegated from NBC/NBCSN to MotorTrend. Barrett Jackson's been relegated from Fox/SPEED to History Channel (occasionally) and FYI, whatever that is.

Motorsports programming itself, however, is a key factor for any sports channel. Numerous networks have been propped up by motorsports: ESPN with Speed World in the 1980s, TNN with NASCAR, NASCAR on FX in 2001, FS1 was literally SPEED, NBCSN, even CBS Sports Network relies heavily on motorsports.

YouTube has taken over car TV shows. There's hundreds, probably thousands of car related YouTube channels and many of them seemingly make a good living off of these channels.

Nascar could swap cars/batteries during the already planned stage breaks.
For a little extended chaneover non racing time they could call it a milk and cookies break to plug whatever snack brand they are enjoying during the car/battery swaps.
They could do the same with hydrogen also and be able to keep the V-8's.

YouTube has taken over car TV shows. There's hundreds, probably thousands of car related YouTube channels and many of them seemingly make a good living off of these channels.

Content creation, in general, is doing well.

I personally watch random **** on YouTube and TikTok more than I watch "traditional" television.

A lot of these people who do YouTube shows, however, go into it with a ton of money.

Have to say, I, disagree with your two points.

When I was just a kid…glasspacks, air shocks, traction bars and a Holley DP. Then came the Fox body revolution….underdrive pulleys, Flowmasters, GT40 intakes ( yawn ). Now it’s tuners, turbos and fart cans.

Instead of Burt and Trans Ams, it’s Vin, a Mopar, and numerous imports.

But how many guys are actually working on their car, or have an old camaro they drive around? So many guys used to have that extra car essentially for weekend cruises, now it's just one big truck. The difficulty on changing a bulb on my 2020 Z71 Colorado against my 2002 Impala in high school has increased so much, I've got to remove a few clips, bend some plastic back & then try to screw in the new lamp on one side while the passenger side pretty much requires removal of the air filter.

On the 2002 Impala? Pull up on the clips, pull the entire lamp out & change whatever is needed. Took about 5 minutes if that

But how many guys are actually working on their car, or have an old camaro they drive around? So many guys used to have that extra car essentially for weekend cruises, now it's just one big truck. The difficulty on changing a bulb on my 2020 Z71 Colorado against my 2002 Impala in high school has increased so much, I've got to remove a few clips, bend some plastic back & then try to screw in the new lamp on one side while the passenger side pretty much requires removal of the air filter.

On the 2002 Impala? Pull up on the clips, pull the entire lamp out & change whatever is needed. Took about 5 minutes if that

I had a car one time that, in order to get to the battery, you had to remove a few bars, then remove the coolant/windshield fluid reservoirs, and then remove something else. It didn't have that deal many of these newer cars have where there are terminals elsewhere for jumpstarting the car either.

I'm not a "car guy" per say, but I do go to quite a few car shows each year ... and they've just gotten boring.

The classic car cruise-ins are the best because these old guys, set in their ways as they may be, they love to work on their cars. Part of the reason they buy older cars to fix up is because they just enjoy doing it.

The car shows that specialize in modern vehicles are so damn BORING.

Every single car is either a Challenger, Camaro or Mustang. How many times can you take a picture of the same exact car in one day? They buy their car, put Falken tires on, polish it up, install a JBL sound system, replace the rims, and sometimes replace the factory exhaust with a Borla exhaust system. Same thing with truck shows. It's about the best rims/tires, best lift kit, loudest sound system, and who can blow the most smoke out of their tailpipe.

Not the fault of this generation, however. Many of these newer cars, you just can't work on them. Most of the younger people who are into that buy 20-year-old Celicas and convert them into racecars.

I'm not a "car guy" per say, but I do go to quite a few car shows each year ... and they've just gotten boring.

The classic car cruise-ins are the best because these old guys, set in their ways as they may be, they love to work on their cars. Part of the reason they buy older cars to fix up is because they just enjoy doing it.

The car shows that specialize in modern vehicles are so damn BORING.

Every single car is either a Challenger, Camaro or Mustang. How many times can you take a picture of the same exact car in one day? They buy their car, put Falken tires on, polish it up, install a JBL sound system, replace the rims, and sometimes replace the factory exhaust with a Borla exhaust system. Same thing with truck shows. It's about the best rims/tires, best lift kit, loudest sound system, and who can blow the most smoke out of their tailpipe.

Not the fault of this generation, however. Many of these newer cars, you just can't work on them. Most of the younger people who are into that buy 20-year-old Celicas and convert them into racecars.
Haha you had me at Borla exhaust. Put one of those on my buddies Type R. We absolutely ripped that thing on I-85 a few times out by Gastonia

Electric NASCAR races with scheduled breaks to change batteries? Probably call it the (Insert Sponsor Name Here) Half Time Battery Jam!

Every single car is either a Challenger, Camaro or Mustang. How many times can you take a picture of the same exact car in one day? They buy their car, put Falken tires on, polish it up, install a JBL sound system, replace the rims, and sometimes replace the factory exhaust with a Borla exhaust system.
Maybe this goes without saying, but again, this is a regional taste thing. Where I'm at, it's not like that at all.

Andy was in Georgia last night..

Andy was in Georgia last night..
All that money spent and no vanity plate?

The electric racing audio crisis will be fixed with some ballons (mash on to the youtube demo)

Them we will just need to add the racing purfume for burnt rubber and the racing gas smells.

That will still leave the senses needing to be altered by the audio sensory vibes that come from the ICE exhaust. The EV will need an audio vibirator installed on the car to accomplish that mission. It could even be a cammed audio to do the trick, a flasher could also be added to emulate the flames of unspent gas coming through them exhaust stimulators.

If all else fails just program the new AI fans that will be replacing the fans that age out. The new AI fans can be programmed to love everythlng with an exception to be hostile toward any non complaint fans.

Back
Top Bottom