2024 Bahrain Grand Prix

The season opener was a disappointment in that not a lot changed.
Testing and practice suggested the other teams might have something for Red Bull, yet Red Bull was further ahead than at the end of last season. Even when they put on soft tires for the final stint they just refused to wear.
If there's a silver lining than it's that Red Bull isn't quite as far ahead as at the start of last year and several teams brought the gap down significantly over the course of 2023.
Ferrari was looking good but not good enough.
Mercedes was disappointing considering they said they finally figured out this car.
McLaren performed about as expected.
Aston was a clear 5th, well ahead of the teams behind but Alonso could not defend against the Mercs and McLarens at all.

Haas was actually the biggest positive surprise to me. Magnussen was able to hold off the Toro Rossos and Hülkenberg finished ahead of the Alpines despite the extra stop.
Speaking of Alpine, they were even worse than they feared.

I'm not a big fan of Bahrain as the season-opening venue. The atmosphere is just kinda lackluster.
Let's start the season in Melbourne and end it at Interlagos

I didn’t have a whole lot of big expectations for the opener really. Red Bull’s pace difference was a bit exaggerated since their advantage was much bigger on softs, and they were the only team who had forgone running another set in FP3 and instead saved a second set for the race. On hards the pace advantage wasn’t nearly as big, but they only had to run those in the middle stint. Overall, it was just kinda okay. I don’t think there’s much potential for anyone besides Max to win in the near future, but once again, there are a pack of seven or eight drivers behind who could probably podium any given weekend.

Back
Top Bottom