2016 Pocono - Pennsylvania 400 - Pre Race Thread

First time I think that I am actually looking forward/and or excited for a Pocono race.

Great Pic!

One interesting tidbit on Pocono that people who've never been there might not know is the fact the start/finish line is not in the middle of the front straight. It's considerably closer to turn 3 than it is to turn 1. This fact is pretty noticeable in the pic if you look closely...

Is Indy's closer to turn 1? Otherwise, Pocono and Talladega are the only ovals with "off center" start/finish lines to my knowledge.
Richmond's S/F line is also closer to turn #4.

CogOQjmUAAAyabN.jpg:large

Weather permitting.....

Note: All times are ET

FRIDAY, JULY 29:

ON TRACK: POCONO
-- 11 a.m.-12:25 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series first practice, NBCSN (Follow live)
-- 12:30-1:55 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series first practice, FS1 (Follow live)
-- 3-3:55 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series final practice, FS1 (Follow live)
-- 4:15 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying, NBCSN (Follow live)

GARAGECAM (Watch live)
-- 10:30 a.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series
-- noon: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series

PRESS CONFERENCES (Watch live)
-- 9:45 a.m.: Brad Keselowski
-- 10 a.m.: Matt Kenseth
-- 10:15 a.m.: Daniel Hemric
-- 1:30 p.m: Jeff Gordon
-- 2 p.m.: Danny Stockman (Crew chief for the No. 27 Sprint Cup team) and Richard Childress Racing Competition Director Dr. Eric Warren
-- 2:30 p.m.: Kyle Busch
-- 2:45 p.m.: Joey Logano
-- 3 p.m.: Kyle Larson
-- 5 p.m.: (approx.) Post-NASCAR Sprint Cup Series qualifying

ON TRACK: IOWA

-- 5-5:50 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series first practice, NBCSN will start coverage at 5:30 p.m. on a delay (Follow live)
-- 7-8:20 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series final practice, NBCSN (Follow live)

@bobpockrass

Air Titans on the track at Pocono on cloudy morn. AccuWeather: High low-80s, 20%chc rain day, 50% after 5pm. Sat/Sun: mid-70s 60%.

Very likely chance that I'll have an extra ticket on Monday (or Tuesday???!!) if anyone wants it. I will know for certain if it will be available this evening. 40 rows up, at the exit of pit road. Bought it for $80. Will sell for an amount that you think is fair ($20-$40 range). Pickup at track only. It is completely legit and I will be there at the gate with you to make sure you get in if you'd like.

Pm for dibs...

Drivers are in the Media Center now.....

PRESS CONFERENCES (Watch live)
-- 9:45 a.m.: Brad Keselowski
-- 10 a.m.: Matt Kenseth
-- 10:15 a.m.: Daniel Hemric
-- 1:30 p.m: Jeff Gordon
-- 2 p.m.: Danny Stockman (Crew chief for the No. 27 Sprint Cup team) and Richard Childress Racing Competition Director Dr. Eric Warren
-- 2:30 p.m.: Kyle Busch
-- 2:45 p.m.: Joey Logano
-- 3 p.m.: Kyle Larson
-- 5 p.m.: (approx.) Post-NASCAR Sprint Cup Series qualifying

Brad Keselowski said a brake line wasn't installed properly & that led to his Watkins Glen wreck in testing this week.

Reactions: Pat
I was always a little partial to the TBird but Ford definitely made the Taurus work. I still remember when they tested the Mark VIII at Charlotte before giving up on that idea.

The Taurus was the first bad looking race car I had ever seen. That was such a dramatic downgrade, going from the awesome looking Thunderbird to that jelly bean looking Taurus. Obviously looks are subjective, but that generation Taurus was ugly as sin.

Very likely chance that I'll have an extra ticket on Monday (or Tuesday???!!) if anyone wants it. I will know for certain if it will be available this evening. 40 rows up, at the exit of pit road. Bought it for $80. Will sell for an amount that you think is fair ($20-$40 range). Pickup at track only. It is completely legit and I will be there at the gate with you to make sure you get in if you'd like.

Pm for dibs...

Gone for Monday, but if it's a Tuesday race the offer stands.

I'm not a fan of Pocono. It's usually a good race to nap through and then fast forward through the DVR In 15 minutes.

Paul Menard qualified 3rd, wow! Looks like the new crew chief is already helping that team quite a bit
I didn't even realize they switched crew chiefs until I watched qualifying. Last week I mentioned how non-existent that team has been since Slugger left. Seems like Paul and (whoever his crew chief was) didn't gel at all.

Weather impacts Pocono on-track action

Overnight rain soaked the track at Pocono Raceway, and Saturday's events are delayed as drying efforts continue.

NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Keystone Light Pole Qualifying was set for 9:05 a.m. ET on FS1 before wet weather canceled the event. The lineup for the Pocono Mountains 150 will be set by practice speeds.

The lone NASCAR Sprint Cup Series activity of the day comes at 11 a.m. with an 80-minute practice session on NBCSN. The Camping World Truck Series' Pocono Mountains 150 is scheduled for Saturday (1 p.m. ET, FS1, MRN, SiriusXM NASCAR Radio)

This weekend, NASCAR will have 18 timing zones at Pocono — an average of one timing zone about every two pit stalls.

NASCAR increased the number of timing zones after questions were raised when Martin Truex Jr. was penalized earlier this month at Kentucky for passing leader Kevin Harvick on the left. Truex accelerated after crossing the last timing line before his pit stall and passed Harvick. To prevent similar occurrences, NASCAR added timing zones at New Hampshire Motor Speedway as an experiment and put all the additional timing zones in play for the first time last weekend at Indianapolis.

Here is the pit road chart at Pocono with all the timing zones:

img_2920-e1469885258417.jpg

I live 36 straight line miles from the track. This area of the state has experienced some severe flooding today. While it is a mess, the worst of this system should be out of here well before 1 pm. Tomorrow will be a bit unsettled but I think they'll get at least most of the race in. The parking lot is going to be a nightmare. Hopefully the race is good. The recent ones have been....

Weather doesn't look good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The biggest issues will be fog, low ceiling and track weepers. Parts of this area have received more than 5 inches of rain today. I think the odds are better tomorrow than they were in June....I'm cautiously optimistic. I didn't even drive up in June. I'll head up tomorrow knowing I have off on Monday....

Back
Top Bottom