Loeb: That was a very big battle

paul

Team Owner
http://www.wrc.com/en_GB/News/NewsDetail/2..._LoebBattle.htm

A very relieved Sebastien Loeb thanked all his fans who travelled the couple of hours or so from his home in Alsace to Trier in to cheer him on to score his first World Rally Championship win.

Loeb finished Rallye Deutschland 14 seconds clear of second-placed Richard Burns to take victory on his and Citroen's final scheduled rally of the 2002 season.

On his way to victory he racked up 11 out of a possible 22 fastest stage times (SS7 was scratched after spectator safety concerns) and he was obviously delighted with his performance.

"It was a very big battle," said Loeb. "The first day was good. We were very fast. The second day was not so good but on the last day we were fast again. I'm very happy to conserve this position. This rally is only 200km from my house so I'm happy there have been a lot of fans."

Team boss Guy Frequelin praised the efforts of his driver.

"I'm very happy with the performance of both Sebastien and the car," said Frequelin. "We've clearly got a good package."

Rallye Deutschland is Citroen's last rally of the year as it prepares for it's first full WRC assault in 2003. Speculation is mounting about who will partner Loeb at the French team next year – with Colin MCRae and Carlos Sainz the current favourites.

When Loeb was asked about who he would he prefer as a team-mate, he said: "That's not my problem, but I'd like a driver with lots of experience and loves the car on gravel."

Back
Top Bottom