Ford boss targets podiums

paul

Team Owner
http://www.wrc.com/en_GB/News/NewsDetail/2...lsonPodiums.htm

Ford team principal Malcolm Wilson is setting the target of podium finishes for his drivers on this week's Rally Finland, but thinks a win could be on the cards if the pre-rally favourites slip up.

Traditionally, Finns dominate their home event, and this year Peugeot's Marcus Gronholm and Harri Rovanpera, along with Subaru's Tommi Makinen, will be hot tips to continue the Finnish stranglehold on the rally. But Wilson believes that kind of extra pressure and expectation can only benefit Ford.

"My feeling is that we've got two Finns at Peugeot and Tommi Makinen at Subaru and they are going to be at the sharp end of the leaderboard," Wilson told Ford Rallye Sport's website. "Those three will put each other under a lot of pressure and I'm pretty sure that one or two of the three will definitely make a mistake."

"It would be fantastic to beat the Finns in their back yard and we have the potential to do it," he added. "But right now I'd be very happy with second and third."

Martin is tipped for a strong performance in Finland this weekend and his boss says he won't be holding the Estonian driver back.

"He can go for it," said Wilson. "He will be given the green light to do the best he can do. He has set himself a bit of a target and I think he can do it. But I would be a little nervous if he's leading going into the final day!"

Back
Top Bottom