Cup RACE thread --- Kansas

Larson has won 9 times in the gen 7 car already, and he's won 19 races with HMS, which is 3rd all time. He won in 2021, was runner up last year, and is leading the points now. In terms of results, it's not egregious to claim he's been the top performing HMS car in general over the last 4 seasons.

Totally agreed about Tony Stewart being the most talented. Disagree about the media and tv not talking about it. Smokes the most talented American racer of all time. We all knew this.
I am not disputing Larson's accomplishments there. He has run well. I am just tired of some of his fans who want to go on about how he is the best ever.

I am not disputing Larson's accomplishments there. He has run well. I am just tired of some of his fans who want to go on about how he is the best ever.
Do you have some imaginary fans you are hearing this from or are you misinterpreting what you are hearing? BTW Larson is a pretty damn good driver dirt or pavement.

Saw once a comparison to Larsons cup career during his year to year stats compared to jimmy Johnsons and Larson is ahead at same time frame

I take it you dont run into many Dale Earnhardt, Richard Petty, Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson or David Pearson fans. Not comparing Larson at all to those fellas but fans of their drivers are going to probably think their guy is the greatest thing since sunshine. Larson is part of a handful of guys where you can say confidently "hes the best in the biz today, worth the price of a ticket" and not look stupid. I dont want to speak for anyone else, but I think thats most of what we all are trying to say here, well at least I am.

Larson has won 9 times in the gen 7 car already, and he's won 19 races with HMS, which is 3rd all time. He won in 2021, was runner up last year, and is leading the points now. In terms of results, it's not egregious to claim he's been the top performing HMS car in general over the last 4 seasons.

Totally agreed about Tony Stewart being the most talented. Disagree about the media and tv not talking about it. Smokes the most talented American racer of all time. We all knew this.
at a team thats been as successful as HMS in their 40 years, that stat there just blew my mind. He's already up to their top 3 driver in wins and hasnt even been there for 5 years yet.

I take it you dont run into many Dale Earnhardt, Richard Petty, Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson or David Pearson fans. Not comparing Larson at all to those fellas but fans of their drivers are going to probably think their guy is the greatest thing since sunshine. Larson is part of a handful of guys where you can say confidently "hes the best in the biz today, worth the price of a ticket" and not look stupid. I dont want to speak for anyone else, but I think thats most of what we all are trying to say here, well at least I am.
I suspect you are answering a post from the same type of fan you are describing above....see poster's handle name. lol

I suspect you are answering a post from the same type of fan you are describing above....see poster's handle name. lol
Yeah. Chase was supposed to be what Larson and Byron have become. Top dogs at HMS and top 3 drivers in the series today. I think that really bothers the 9 fans. I like Chase a lot and he’s my #3 driver behind Larson and Busch, but since his injury he hasn’t been a top 3 driver. He’s returning to form the last few weeks which has been great to see.

Yeah. Chase was supposed to be what Larson and Byron have become. Top dogs at HMS and top 3 drivers in the series today. I think that really bothers the 9 fans. I like Chase a lot and he’s my #3 driver behind Larson and Busch, but since his injury he hasn’t been a top 3 driver. He’s returning to form the last few weeks which has been great to see.
Telling it like it is. I think that rings true for the red badge lovers who were poor mouthing Larson's win. They had a couple of sold out Joes in the final scrum, with wreck em Danny on the pole and high hopes.

Oh my gosh, did you all see what Kyle Larson did to win that race on Sunday? That just had to be one of the greatest moves of all time to stick it in there between the wall and the 17. Then when the 17 door slammed him his skill was soooo awesome that he never lifted or lost control. Here we are almost 48 hours after the race and I am just in awe that everyone on this planet got to watch his greatness. Just imagine what NASCAR would be like if we had 35 other drivers even half as talented as him racing each week. Kyle is going to win the championship this year before Phoenix...mark my words.
:owquitit:

Oh my gosh, did you all see what Kyle Larson did to win that race on Sunday? That just had to be one of the greatest moves of all time to stick it in there between the wall and the 17. Then when the 17 door slammed him his skill was soooo awesome that he never lifted or lost control. Here we are almost 48 hours after the race and I am just in awe that everyone on this planet got to watch his greatness. Just imagine what NASCAR would be like if we had 35 other drivers even half as talented as him racing each week. Kyle is going to win the championship this year before Phoenix...mark my words.
:owquitit:

You need a bigger hammer . . . . .

This is NASCAR and people are upset that cars touched coming to the checkered flag. That's how it's supposed to be and is what makes NASCAR great. People upset about the ending of the race should be watching F1. Apparently they can't handle NASCAR.

I rest my case. Playoff appearances with Ganassi racing, wins in that equipment while not bad was not at the top of the food chain, and to top it off, "IF we want to remove 2021" well 2021 happened so if we pretended that year didn't happened it'd be a argument devoid of logic.
Not saying I agree with this necessarily but that could easily be debunked by saying the following. Yes, Larson made the playoffs there, but Ross was technically in that same equipment after Trackhouse bought them out, and he made the championship round.

So Rows must be the best. Right? Right??

thats wild. Some folks still find Byron to be lucky, when the picture he's painting has been quite the opposite of that. He'd have my money if I were betting to be the champion come Phoenix, he's so good. I feel like you're missing out if you just hide behind the "hes lucky" argument. He really can win anywhere, anytime, any place now.
Yes. While maybe somewhat obscure, that’s actually a pretty incredible stat that I’m not sure has been done too many times before.

Not saying I agree with this necessarily but that could easily be debunked by saying the following. Yes, Larson made the playoffs there, but Ross was technically in that same equipment after Trackhouse bought them out, and he made the championship round.

So Rows must be the best. Right? Right??
I mean if you're into stretching an argument sure. But in 2021, in Ganassi Equipment with Ganassi's name still on the door of the place, he finished 20th in points. Marks changed a whole lot when he bought from Ganassi and I'm not taking away from Trackhouse or Ross what they did in 2022, they were a breath of fresh air. Maybe I'm dense but I think what you're saying is a huge stretch.

I have run into some of those fans and some do think their driver is the best and some don't. I also don't necessarily agree with your assessment that you can confidently say Larson is the best in the business right now unless you tell me the rules on what measurables we are going by. As I have laid out before - regardless of how much I don't like him - I think Hamlin is the best right now based on his consistency and top-5 percentage compared to others.

Do you have some imaginary fans you are hearing this from or are you misinterpreting what you are hearing? BTW Larson is a pretty damn good driver dirt or pavement.
Is there a place I said he wasn't good on dirt or pavement? What I am saying is far from imaginary also. I even recall some of those in the sport saying it when he got into a tussle at the Bristol dirt race and the radio chatter was something along the lines of "he thinks he's better than everyone." I also recall at Phoenix last year when he got beat for the title there being this entire segment where they talked about Larson being so talented but not having the car to keep up with Blaney. I can't recall another time I heard a driver afforded that luxury of being in inferior equipment when driving for HMS. I only have one friend who is a Larson fan and he's pretty cool about it. We agree to disagree on the Watkins Glen incident but other than that we keep it in perspective. He even texted me a few months back joking about how Larson had not wrecked Chase once this year and I replied and said that Chase would have to start running up front again first as this was before Chase started cranking out top 5's and got that win. Whether you feel it or not there is a "push" from some (fans and/or media) to acknowledge Larson's talent. Almost like he was touted the next big thing so people are trying to justify it. No matter how good he is, I don't see him living up to the likes of Petty, Earnhardt, Gordon, Johnson and so on. I see him as more like the next Kevin Harvick or Kyle Busch - No disputing he is GREAT but not all time. That's all I am saying. My opinion could change with time but that's where I live right now. The dude will go down as ONE of the best of this generation but most likely not definitively THE best although in the argument for sure but he also won't have a case to be on the legends list unless things change.

Back
Top Bottom