Chuck Ciprich 1941-2023

JB64

Spectator
On April 16, 2023, Chuck Ciprich passed after a lengthy battle with cancer.

I first learned of Chuck when he came to Oswego Speedway back in 1973 driving for various owners before settling in with Ron Buckner and the orange #36 in 1976. I was still a Swift fan back then but it was clear he was driving less and less and would eventually retire in 1978.

When Chuck got in the 36 after Bobby Stelter left for his own car, I started watching Chuck more closely and quickly became a fan. Throughout '76 and '77, he came so close to winning a coveted Oswego feature but misfortune always took it away. Finally, in August of 1977 it finally happened and he was consistent over the next 4 seasons getting wins including 2 International Classics back-to-back in '78/'79.

He time at Oswego was too brief as he and Buckner left after 1981 to try Champ Car racing and my hero was gone.

It was only after his racing at Oswego on pavement in supers that I learned of his successful dirt mod career still happening until the late 1970s.

He certainly made Oswego an exciting place back in the Shampine/Heveron eras with his hard driving especially watching him move up through traffic in feature races.

RIP Chuck and thanks for the great memories racing for our enjoyment!

The picture attached is mine of Chuck waving back to me during a red flag refuelling stop in 1980.

Attachments

• 1980-08-02 Gioa 99 Ciprich 36.jpg
    1980-08-02 Gioa 99 Ciprich 36.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 88
On April 16, 2023, Chuck Ciprich passed after a lengthy battle with cancer.

I first learned of Chuck when he came to Oswego Speedway back in 1973 driving for various owners before settling in with Ron Buckner and the orange #36 in 1976. I was still a Swift fan back then but it was clear he was driving less and less and would eventually retire in 1978.

When Chuck got in the 36 after Bobby Stelter left for his own car, I started watching Chuck more closely and quickly became a fan. Throughout '76 and '77, he came so close to winning a coveted Oswego feature but misfortune always took it away. Finally, in August of 1977 it finally happened and he was consistent over the next 4 seasons getting wins including 2 International Classics back-to-back in '78/'79.

He time at Oswego was too brief as he and Buckner left after 1981 to try Champ Car racing and my hero was gone.

It was only after his racing at Oswego on pavement in supers that I learned of his successful dirt mod career still happening until the late 1970s.

He certainly made Oswego an exciting place back in the Shampine/Heveron eras with his hard driving especially watching him move up through traffic in feature races.

RIP Chuck and thanks for the great memories racing for our enjoyment!

The picture attached is mine of Chuck waving back to me during a red flag refuelling stop in 1980.
Thanks for sharing your memories, great stuff. The racers deserve the respect.

RIP Chuck Ciprich

Back
Top Bottom