2024 Rolex 24 at DAYTONA

Another entertaining VP Challenge although like yesterday, I could have done without the late yellow.

Good Q session in GTP. Less than a second separating the ten cars.

Ben Keating must be insane. :p

Surprising the turn of speed shown by the Caddys. Last year the Acura was usually the fastest. Plus, BMW was in them mix every session, so it's been an encouraging ROAR for them too. They are definitely the dark horses because almost no one is talking about them, but they seem to have the speed.

Porsche reportedly found some extra speed they may not yet be showing, so we will have to watch out for them too. Very optimistic we will have a great race.

I looked for a race poster but google came up with nothing. Where you at FLRacingFan? You're the master of those things!

Looks like every GTP entry eclipsed the old record: https://racer.com/2024/01/21/records-smashed-as-derani-takes-rolex-24-pole-for-cadillac/

The pole time progression in the top class over the past decade is pretty incredible. Some notables:

2013 - 1:40.553 (Grand-Am DPs, final year pre-merger)
2014 - 1:38.270 (first year post-merger, DPs were sped up significantly due to incoming ALMS P2s)
2017 - 1:36.903 (first year of DPi and current-gen P2)
2018 - 1:36.083
2019 - 1:33.685 (first year of prototypes switching from Continental to Michelin tires)
2023 - 1:34.031 (first year GTP)
2024 - 1:32.656

That’s almost a whopping 8 full seconds chopped down from three evolutions of cars, development, and a change in tire supplier. Phew.

About as close as I’ll get to watching nascar guys run this weekend. Unless I misread, there will be no Cup guys running the Rolex, which is a bummer for me personally

Im having trouble getting practice info and not sure if It’s even indicative of how a team may run. So can anyone tell me how the Mustang teams look? Qualifying sure doesn’t seem very encouraging…..

They are nearly three seconds off the fastest P2 pace, but the color scheme sure is cool;

Sean-Creech-Motorsport-scaled.jpg

Im having trouble getting practice info and not sure if It’s even indicative of how a team may run. So can anyone tell me how the Mustang teams look? Qualifying sure doesn’t seem very encouraging…..
I wouldn’t put much, if any, stock into qualifying times. Keep in mind that no one really wants to show full potential until the race, conditions this weekend will be much warmer than last weekend, and Daytona is usually difficult for brand new models to begin with.

They also just handed down sweeping BoP adjustments across the GT3 field.

About as close as I’ll get to watching nascar guys run this weekend. Unless I misread, there will be no Cup guys running the Rolex, which is a bummer for me personally

Yeah it’s lame seeing all this IMSA hype with no NASCAR drivers in the 24.

I wouldn’t put much, if any, stock into qualifying times. Keep in mind that no one really wants to show full potential until the race, conditions this weekend will be much warmer than last weekend, and Daytona is usually difficult for brand new models to begin with.

They also just handed down sweeping BoP adjustments across the GT3 field.
BoP adjustments?

With the Rolex approaching, now's a good time to relive my own experience:

I just read the Daytona 1971 part to conclusion of the article

Doc I don't know what to say it is such an incredible read. I don't have your experience but back in those days I was just starting to follow the local short tracks, radio coverage and well written articles . That was all I had, I was to young to travel.

I joke about the the great ones I saw on the radio and I could say the same about the well written articles.
What you wrote reminded me so much of those days. Thanks again for posting I can't think of enough superlatives to express my respect.

I will read it again tommorow as I usually do with something that is written so well. I want to mentally process it all, to ensure I haven't missed anything.

Off topic, but who cares?

Searching For The Meaning of Life Off The Coast Of Guadalamongola

Refreshing to see legitimate fuel mileage drama in MPC today. All of the GS cars kept dropping like flies towards the finish…all but one. Nice to see JDC pick up the win in TCR.

Back
Top Bottom