IMSA 2023

The sheer number of interested teams makes me think they're taking too long in separating out GTP/LMP2 and GTD events from each other beyond the big enduros. Pre-qualifying for the Endurance events seems like something I would be all for as well.

The sheer number of interested teams makes me think they're taking too long in separating out GTP/LMP2 and GTD events from each other beyond the big enduros. Pre-qualifying for the Endurance events seems like something I would be all for as well.
Road America is the only ‘sprint’ round that has all classes next year, and that’s the pit lane where the limit of 53 comes from. From a projection of 55 entries that’s not too bad of a cut. The other five sprints are all broken up into two or three classes only.

Pre-qualifying would be cool but it doesn’t seem realistic to me considering how much of a financial risk it is to show up and then not make the race. It would probably discourage entries.

I do hope they’re transparent about the cut list like Le Mans does with the reserve list each year. They had 70+ sign up for Daytona this year also but weren’t transparent about who got cut. I also hope they continue to encourage teams to come in on a per-race basis, like if Road Atlanta can only accommodate 54 and sets the MEC limit, Sebring can still allow up to 60.

MAKE HORNETS/PONY/MINI STOCKS GREAT AGAIN. BRING BACK GOODY'S DASH SERIES.

mybody.jpg

I'm still kind of uncomfortable sending good cars home. Remember when we were screaming for more cars?

Agreed. Set it up like NASCAR back in the day of the top 35 rules. Top 80ish% of cars per class guaranteed to qualify and the remaining 20% battle for the final few spots.

IMO, if I'm a fan at the track, this sounds more fun than 12 hours of support races Friday and Saturday. Of course keep support racing but some of these Fridays and Saturdays start with races at 8am and end at 7 or 8pm. Too much, imo

Will there be oval track ringers?
I’m assuming if they do this that it would be in support of a NASCAR weekend, so I don’t see why not - as long as their team owners allow them. It could be unbridled chaos.

They have guest drivers from time to time as is on the road courses.

I'm still kind of uncomfortable sending good cars home. Remember when we were screaming for more cars?
There’s gotta be a limit somewhere. It’s not the only series facing the same conundrum at the moment either. But there are a lot of different programs and homes to be found. An ELMS team missing the Rolex isn’t the end of the world.

Agreed. Set it up like NASCAR back in the day of the top 35 rules. Top 80ish% of cars per class guaranteed to qualify and the remaining 20% battle for the final few spots.
There’s a lot of financial risk associated with that, and that’s why you barely see any series major series with pre-qualifying or bumping anymore. You make a team from Europe spend a bunch of money to not qualify for Daytona, they probably don’t come back for some time, and they’re in the hole for whatever they have planned the rest of the year.

At least the given method will allow teams to set up a program and budget for elsewhere.

HOLY ****:

Mega lineup, can’t wait.

Also, can’t wait to see Nicky Catsburg now that he’s moving from the Corvette WEC team over here full-time. There’s a real chance he could get a class win in the four major 24-hour races in about an eight-month span, since he won Nürburgring/Le Mans/Spa back in May and June. Just needs Daytona again.

I'm a bit surprised the brother are not paired together, but I'm sure Wayne has his reasons.

I read yesterday that Shark has not finalized his program and might not even be in GTP next year: https://racer.com/2023/08/14/shank-doing-everything-we-can-to-stay-in-imsa-beyond-2023/

My guess is Honda is still upset with the Rolex tire pressure snafu, and this gives them a chance to consolidate their program under one team.

Shank will end up with something. Again, just guessing, but Cadillac has stepped up before and that's probably his best bet if Acura doesn't work out. I kind of doubt BMW will entertain the idea because their program is just starting to come around, and they will have to supply their WEC program next year too. Porsche is supposedly tapped out on production. Maybe Lamborghini is an outside hope. It would be a real shame if IMSA can't keep a championship team like Shank in the lineup.

But if no one steps up and provides a car for them, that kind of underlines my point that manufacturers should be required to sell X amount of customer cars.

The part that does not make sense is to me is Dallara, Ligier, Oreca and Muttlymatic are all in business to sell cars. For a major auto maker, another engine or two shouldn't be a big deal. Everybody would make money and we would have more good cars. Porsche has always understood the strength in numbers approach, and even when they were a small company, they still cranked out the cars. They built over 100 of the 956/962, but GM and BMW can't match that?

I can't believe that GM or BMW would struggle to make more engines, and I can't believe the chassis makers wouldn't like to sell more cars.

Then again, I might just be too greedy.

I'm a bit surprised the brother are not paired together, but I'm sure Wayne has his reasons.

I read yesterday that Shark has not finalized his program and might not even be in GTP next year: https://racer.com/2023/08/14/shank-doing-everything-we-can-to-stay-in-imsa-beyond-2023/

My guess is Honda is still upset with the Rolex tire pressure snafu, and this gives them a chance to consolidate their program under one team.

Shank will end up with something. Again, just guessing, but Cadillac has stepped up before and that's probably his best bet if Acura doesn't work out. I kind of doubt BMW will entertain the idea because their program is just starting to come around, and they will have to supply their WEC program next year too. Porsche is supposedly tapped out on production. Maybe Lamborghini is an outside hope. It would be a real shame if IMSA can't keep a championship team like Shank in the lineup.

But if no one steps up and provides a car for them, that kind of underlines my point that manufacturers should be required to sell X amount of customer cars.

The part that does not make sense is to me is Dallara, Ligier, Oreca and Muttlymatic are all in business to sell cars. For a major auto maker, another engine or two shouldn't be a big deal. Everybody would make money and we would have more good cars. Porsche has always understood the strength in numbers approach, and even when they were a small company, they still cranked out the cars. They built over 100 of the 956/962, but GM and BMW can't match that?

I can't believe that GM or BMW would struggle to make more engines, and I can't believe the chassis makers wouldn't like to sell more cars.

Then again, I might just be too greedy.
Yeah, Daytona nuked the relationship with HPD - and much of the rest of the paddock as well. You don’t cheat the rest of the field in the biggest race and go around begging those same manufacturers for equipment later on in the year. They’re pretty much untouchable right now. I’d be shocked if any of GM/BMW/Porsche wanted to bail them out next year.

The one wild card I could see is Alpine, they’re doing wind tunnel testing in the U.S. in November so I think they’re pursuing IMSA homologation for next year. One of MSR’s big backers, AutoNation, is also in talks with Alpine to bring the brand’s cars into the States.

Just watched Road America and haven't read this forum since it was run, to avoid spoilers. As others have said, Porsche dominated, BMW couldn't get out of their own way. Fortunately, not the yellowfest that practice foretold.

No one's surprised Jordan is going back to WTR, are they? Haven't we all been suspecting that from the day he left?

Shame about Shank.

You guys seen the upcoming Mustang mid-engine car.
There were rumors it was mid-engined but it’s still front.

Pretty crazy car, seems akin to the Porsche 911 GT3 RS. 800+ HP and DRS, developed in conjunction with the GT3 car, fastest Mustang road car ever. They wanna take it to the Nordschleife and lap under 7 minutes. It’s cool what they’re doing with the Mustang brand both on the track and on the road right now.

Pre-qualifying would be cool but it doesn’t seem realistic to me considering how much of a financial risk it is to show up and then not make the race. It would probably discourage entries.

We are rapidly approaching the point where consolation races might be a possibility.

The link was on my MSN feed, but I can't find it. Must be something different from this GT3, or it could have been complete BS. If I see it again I'll post it.

Petit is going to be crazy. The only repeat GTP “winners” so far are the 60, which…yeah. No one has really managed to separate themselves this season. The 10 lead the championship without any wins. Quite possible five or six cars have a mathematical shot at the title heading into the final event.

Petit is going to be crazy. The only repeat GTP “winners” so far are the 60, which…yeah. No one has really managed to separate themselves this season. The 10 lead the championship without any wins. Quite possible five or six cars have a mathematical shot at the title heading into the final event.
2021 all over again.

Nothing but rave reviews today. I think Dale Jr. and Bobby Labonte testing tomorrow lends credence to the idea that “oval ringers” will jump at the opportunity to run this if it happens.

“Rexy” will be on AO Racing’s WEC entry at Fuji next month while sister “Roxy” will debut in IMSA at VIR this weekend.

In addition, the team has filed to move from GTD into LMP2 and GTD Pro next season. Quite likely we are back to 9-10 full-time all-pro GT cars next year.

Caught up on VIR - heck of a race, a good bit of argybargy included. Madison Snow is ready to be a pro and Frederick Schandorff was really impressive.

Next year’s date clash with the Spa 24 has been avoided by moving up the 6H of The Glen by one week. However, that makes for a one-week turnaround for any teams that are competing at Le Mans the week before.

Every onboard is available on the NASCAR app at least, right?

Broadcasting should be the next big evolution for the series with the TV deal ending next year. I know it’s easy for them to hitch their wagon to one of the NASCAR TV partners and do some time buys each year for a few OTA broadcasts, but the overall presentation and availability isn’t as good as other major sports car series. Peacock races aren’t even commercial-free anymore, which they initially were, as well as on its predecessor (NBC Track Pass). When anyone can watch every SRO race worldwide for free on YouTube, including multiple commentary languages and onboards, IMSA doesn’t have much excuse for a poor presentation and distribution.
You will have to bring that up with na$car.

@Kiante has mentioned several times how impressive he’s been in LMP2 recently and it’s paid off, Louis Delétraz will be WTR’s third driver for endurance events next year. Brendon Hartley returns for Daytona and Delétraz is in line for a full-time ride when WTR aim to expand to two cars in 2024.

Wayne Taylor needs to step up. They were great for years, lately, they have become a 2nd 3rd finisher.

Back
Top Bottom