Denny Hamlin Appreciation Thread

“Worst” may be an overstatement…they are still pretty good if they win. But it is a headline grabber and he’s a marketing machine. He’s certainly better than many. But I wonder how many have won a championship who would not have been considered a top 10 by most measures during that time/era. My history of the sport doesn’t go back that far. Weakest I can think of in the last 10 years was Blaney and I like that guy and he’s a solid top 10 driver.
It blows me away how Blaney's championship hasn't resonated one way or the other. As soon as he crossed the start/finish in Phoenix, I was thinking, "Oh ****, here comes the 'didn't deserve it' crowd." ....but really, nothing....He certainly isn't polarizing I don't think, but he does elicit some response...

It blows me away how Blaney's championship hasn't resonated one way or the other. As soon as he crossed the start/finish in Phoenix, I was thinking, "Oh ****, here comes the 'didn't deserve it' crowd." ....but really, nothing....He certainly isn't polarizing I don't think, but he does elicit some response...
As I said, Blaney is good and I like him. Even have a hat. But if I try and assess the Champions in the last 10 years who was the least dominant it may be him. Didn’t say he didn’t deserve to win last year. Denny made an overstatement to get attention but while he may have aimed it at Chase, I’d say Chase has almost twice the wins as Ryan and that counts for something…though I often root for Blaney and never root for Chase 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think a lot of it has to do with his personality. In general he is well liked by his owner, sponsors, team, competitors and fans. He also has taken advantage of his role as "champion" to promote NASCAR through many different platforms. While he doesn't have some of the gawdy numbers other champions have put up, he does appear to conduct himself as a "champion" and that goes a long way when distancing itself from on track performance. I think the potential is there for another championship down the road as he continues to learn just what he needs in the car to make him fast.

Back
Top Bottom