California Speedway Demo / Rebuild

1705171374700.png

A California iconic track getting static from the local residents. It's a big reason I am all for the larger tracks as opposed to the small ones. Large tracks bring in so much local revenue that the whiners don't have much leverage compared to the smaller underfunded tracks. This article is sarcastically funny as they can be.

^Los Angeles went two decades without an NFL team. Phoenix isn't far away either....NASCAR can survive without SOCAL.

^Los Angeles went two decades without an NFL team. Phoenix isn't far away either....NASCAR can survive without SOCAL.

They can run the LA Coliseum in the regular season just fine right after the Daytona 500 in February.

We’d get a lot of Joey Logano/Kyle Busch & Justin Haley/Kyle Larson moments in the regular season.

Not much info, but it seems like they still have some irons in the fire, just not priority one.

Track is a ginormous waste of money with the LA Coliseum being there.

At the very least, I hear the naysayers say that the asphalt wouldn’t have wore out. Maybe they should have went the 13-15° or 12°14° progressive banking route if they’re so worried about bad racing?

From an optics perspective, leaving Southern California entirely would look bad for NASCAR. If there is no SoCal race in 2024, I expect NASCAR to have something concrete announced for 2025.

Track is a ginormous waste of money with the LA Coliseum being there.

At the very least, I hear the naysayers say that the asphalt wouldn’t have wore out. Maybe they should have went the 13-15° or 12°14° progressive banking route if they’re so worried about bad racing?

I'm not an engineer but tracks that are wide, high banked, and fast tend to race the worst on new asphalt. The best tracks are the most challenging for the drivers. I like a track that is either tight like Bristol, Darlington, or Martinsville or something where the asphalt is so worn that it adds an extra element to the track (like additional tire wear that zaps grip).

I'm not an engineer but tracks that are wide, high banked, and fast tend to race the worst on new asphalt. The best tracks are the most challenging for the drivers. I like a track that is either tight like Bristol, Darlington, or Martinsville or something where the asphalt is so worn that it adds an extra element to the track (like additional tire wear that zaps grip).

I’m not an engineer either but progressive banking could be a solution to “new asphalt” issues.

As of January, it looks like all the pavement is gone except in front of the grandstands. Most of the banking dirt has been removed also. All of the safer barrier has been removed and most of the fencing.

1707444553030.png

Back
Top Bottom