2023 Qatar Grand Prix

Isn’t there another dumb sprint at the next race at Austin? Great idea, add more sprint so whoever is dominating can win it by early September next time.
OTOH, if you win 10 races in a row the championship should have already been over.

I'm not really a Verstappen fan other than to admire what he has achieved. I'de rather see someone else win, but I can't take away from what a fitting champion he has been the last two years.

OTOH, if you win 10 races in a row the championship should have already been over.

I'm not really a Verstappen fan other than to admire what he has achieved. I'de rather see someone else win, but I can't take away from what a fitting champion he has been the last two years.

This is crazy talk. If Checo did his job with his rocket ship, this championship is still alive.

Winning an x amount of races consecutive shouldn’t mean you automatically win it.

No, but after winning 10 races in a row you should have enough points to put it away. Has anyone ever won 10 races and not the championship?

Looks like Perez has a pit lane start. There's a poor guy who can't get a break.

Hamilton, 2016.

And to be clear, I’m not arguing that the driver with most wins shouldn’t win, I think the results speaks for themselves. I’m mainly talking about the useless sprints rewarding points making it even more easy to win championships on a downbeat day.

Hamilton, 2016.

And to be clear, I’m not arguing that the driver with most wins shouldn’t win, I think the results speaks for themselves.

I don't think we are disagreeing too much. To be clear, the driver with the most points should win. 10 wins is like 250 points or something and only Sergio has over 200 right now (223). I think we all agree for Max to lose this championship after 10 wins would be a travesty.

Keke Rosberg won his championship with a single win at Dijon. I believe Phil Hill also had a single win, though memory is a little vague on something that happened 62 years ago. I also remember Tom Sneva winning the USAC championship with no wins at all. The guy who wins the most races is not always the champion. Ask Andretti about 1977.

In Rosberg's championship, only Prost scored more than one win (two), but there were lots of one time and first time winners. It was the most bonkers championship I can remember. Of course, having one of the favorites getting killed and another getting crippled set everything up.

I’m mainly talking about the useless sprints rewarding points making it even more easy to win championships on a downbeat day.
Most teams at this point wouldn't consider second place to be a downbeat day.

There's not much point to being upset over the sprints because they appear to be here to stay. The sprints are not completely pointless because they pay points, and everyone has the same opportunity to score. I know people don't really like them, but it's just something extra to watch, especially since nothing else is usually on. That and being unhappy about them doesn't change much except your own level of happiness. It
is a sad case of "it is what it is."

They could change things around to make them better. I like the idea of running the sprint inverse to points. That would usually put Sargent on pole and Verstappen at the back, and only a handful of laps to get it done. My guess is the action, and the carnage would be spectacular and probably even more exciting than the GP itself. Then, line up Sunday by sprint results. If you like overtaking, it might be for you.

Confirmed. Carlos Sainz is not participating in the race.

As others said, winning the most races shouldn't make you champion, but I'm also very averse to the notion of a season where someone like Verstappen could win 1/2 the races consecutively and then lose to someone with one win or no wins. F1 is not that, and has never been, and that's good IMO.

If the FIA let Pirelli make the best tire they can, without the engineered fake deg, they wouldn't take so much heat every race. Every week it's nothing but what is wrong with the tires or how teams can't get them to "switch on" or get into the right "window. It's not good publicity for them, especially since IMSA and WEC drivers brag about getting three stints out of them and how great they are in the wet. Which brand would you put on the wife's car? I honestly don't see what Pirelli gets out of it except a lot of complaints.
Getting tires into the window is part of the sport. If there was no wear every race would be a Monaco-esque procession.
And I highly doubt anyone stops buying Pirelli tires because they don't last 300 km in F1. With that logic the Goodyears in NASCAR need to last 600 miles.

Checo should not come back next year. He’s putting in Stroll level effort. Embarrassing

More than impressed with Mercedes pace. Lewis will have a bad night tonight thinking about this one. McLaren is just slightly ahead in pace with the current Mercedes who has had no upgrades since Silverstone.

Great recovery by George.

Getting tires into the window is part of the sport. If there was no wear every race would be a Monaco-esque procession.
And I highly doubt anyone stops buying Pirelli tires because they don't last 300 km in F1. With that logic the Goodyears in NASCAR need to last 600 miles.
It's not always the driver. Look at the trouble Haas has getting the tire to work. Look at how Ferrari was fading earlier in the year on tires. It's just another artificial, phony thing they use to "spice up the show." I don't care for spice. I want racing to be real, and if that means it a procession, that's pretty much what we have now anyway.

Goodyears were fine for 500 miles in 1987, so I don't know why they can't do it 30 years later. Michelin flat dropped out of the tire bidding vendor because they want to make the best tire they can, and you see the results of that in WEC.

How exciting is it to see one car take a position because the other is stopped in the pits? Get rid of the tire game and make them race for it. I mean, if you love pit stops that's ok, but I'de rather see racing.

Checo got another 5 seconds penanlty kicking him off the points . 3=15 seconds means Hamilton actually outscored him. lol

It's not always the driver. Look at the trouble Haas has getting the tire to work. Look at how Ferrari was fading earlier in the year on tires. It's just another artificial, phony thing they use to "spice up the show." I don't care for spice. I want racing to be real, and if that means it a procession, that's pretty much what we have now anyway.

Goodyears were fine for 500 miles in 1987, so I don't know why they can't do it 30 years later. Michelin flat dropped out of the tire bidding vendor because they want to make the best tire they can, and you see the results of that in WEC.

How exciting is it to see one car take a position because the other is stopped in the pits? Get rid of the tire game and make them race for it. I mean, if you love pit stops that's ok, but I'de rather see racing.
At this point, I think I'm with you. Especially as it goes with F1, where I've yet to see a race determined by pit strategy that I was happy about. I've much more often seen teams use pit strategy as a way to enforce team orders, which I sometimes feel as though I am a lone soldier fighting a war against.

One final thing on the sprint races, there was talk of having a sprint championship. If they did that at least they would have a good reason for it.

One final thing on the sprint races, there was talk of having a sprint championship. If they did that at least they would have a good reason for it.

That is at least feasible. If you want entertainment then just add a semi sub championship that leaves the main one untouched.

I think in general Hamilton is a stand-up guy, but at least in this case he was so blatantly wrong he had no choice. No one here is arguing right or wrong because this was all on Hamilton at worst, and more likely it was just because race cars crash.

I don't think it was deliberate. He probably didn't know, and couldn't see they were 3 wide, and expected George to give him room, but George didn't have any to give. We see the same thing almost every year at Le Source. You can go three wide, but you'de better hold your line.

Russell did really well despite the incident, he was a menace in the brakes at turn 6 all weekend. Salvaging 4th after getting wiped out is impressive. This oughta be the catalyst for Mercedes to be more mindful of each other moving forward.

I was a bit disappointed to see Alonso fade quickly, he had two big snap oversteer moments and the one that wound up taking him through the gravel hurt the floor. Didn’t look like a good car to drive.

I'm not impressed. Can't just tell the drivers to run over the kerbs at their own risk?
These things are kinda ridiculous. It won’t be so ungodly hot in March, but hopefully the curbs are dealt with before the WEC opener next year:

1696880604517.png

Rich boy toy deserves a weekend off. Can’t be assaulting employees and then later say it’s all good because he’s your “bro.”

Literally his excuse. Lmao

The curbs look like something you'd design if the intention was not to have people drive over them, except then the FIA decided "You should be able to drive over them" to obvious results.

And who took the hit publicly? It's always Pirelli, isn't it? All people know when they read the paper is "Pirellis delaminating!"

I read on my MSN feed today that a few tracks could be removed from the schedule if they don't fix their track limits problems. Yank out the dangerous curbs and put the grass back in. Kill two problems with one stone.

Back
Top Bottom