Deegan update

It's a case in point that the ones who say Deegan is only in Nascar because of her popularity when drivers like Long with potential tons of talent but didn't make it miss the point. Pages of pages prove it lol. It's very hard to attract sponsorship when there is so much push back. Sexism is alive and well. Deegan along with Danica are modern day leaders for women in Nascar. More will come and hopefully it will become easier for women to compete.
Sexism exists in the sport. No denying that.

It’s nowhere near as rampant as it was 10+ years ago. Attitudes are changing toward women’s sports in general. Hell, look at the ratings the WNBA is drawing in. People aren’t watching that because they think Caitlin Clark is hot and sexy.

Johanna Long wasn’t successful because she wasn’t “pretty” enough and Danica Patrick was the great hope. Other talented women have been pushed aside for the same reason, and pushed aside for Decker and Deegan. That was the attitude then.

Now, it’s different, and NASCAR’s base is evolving, especially since tons of the decrepit “women belong in the kitchen” crowd quit watching because of “Bubbles.”

There are always gonna be people who wreck a woman because of her gender. There are also more drivers now in NASCAR who respect female competitors.

It's a case in point that the ones who say Deegan is only in Nascar because of her popularity when drivers like Long with potential tons of talent but didn't make it miss the point. Pages of pages prove it lol. It's very hard to attract sponsorship when there is so much push back. Sexism is alive and well. Deegan along with Danica are modern day leaders for women in Nascar. More will come and hopefully it will become easier for women to compete.
It has always been an uphill struggle for women to secure sponsorship in motorsports. I have worked around Tony Stewarts wife Leah from the time she drove a Jr dragster and I watched her work her way up from the ground floor busting her azz working on a racecar right alongside the male crewmembers until 1am or 2am. You can only imagine how many potential sponsors doors she knocked on and had the door shut in her face before she finally landed the sponsor that she could take to DSR where she got her start as a professional top fuel driver and finally met Tony Stewart where she now is his wife and co team owner...and I couldn't be happier for her. Some girls and guys have it much easier to get their start due to their famous father, but they still have to do something the sponsor likes to keep them renewing the contracts. Deegan definitely falls in the category of having a famous father that probably helped her get her foot in the door. Danica didn't, she had to find her sponsor on her own, and I have a lot of respect for her because of that.

Tbf I think she would make a decent enough jet dryer driver in Cup, so there’s still hope for her to move up.

It has always been an uphill struggle for women to secure sponsorship in motorsports. I have worked around Tony Stewarts wife Leah from the time she drove a Jr dragster and I watched her work her way up from the ground floor busting her azz working on a racecar right alongside the male crewmembers until 1am or 2am. You can only imagine how many potential sponsors doors she knocked on and had the door shut in her face before she finally landed the sponsor that she could take to DSR where she got her start as a professional top fuel driver and finally met Tony Stewart where she now is his wife and co team owner...and I couldn't be happier for her. Some girls and guys have it much easier to get their start due to their famous father, but they still have to do something the sponsor likes to keep them renewing the contracts. Deegan definitely falls in the category of having a famous father that probably helped her get her foot in the door. Danica didn't, she had to find her sponsor on her own, and I have a lot of respect for her because of that.
After reading Janet Guthrie's biography, things haven't changed a whole lot in Nascar to this point.

There were some people in the 90s who swore that Jeff Gordon was the first gay driver.
Jeff Gordon clearly didn't have the Ghay, but he may have been a Metrosexual with those movie star looks, and he was also born in California.

When I think of a Victoria's Secret model, Hailie Deegan doesn't come to mind. She is far from being ugly, but she isn't that good looking either. And her voice and laugh are atrocious. But she always shows a lot of great fun filled energy and she seems like she is a pretty decent girl in general that is a pretty good role model for younger girls. Actually, the fact that her performance isn't stellar but yet she still keeps her head up and in good spirits and doesn't give up is very good for the younger girls to see. IMO
Toni Breidinger is who I was referencing there. She is legitimately a model.

Back
Top Bottom