Bye bye job

D

Digger

Just got wonderful news.

They're going to be laying off non-essential staff, support staff and teachers as well as canceling funding for sports and other extra-curricular activities.

Why? Because the budget hearing last night went like this:

School system: County, you have a $47m emergency reserve fund. In order to continue day-to-day operations next year (even after significant budget cuts), we need $4m out of this.

County commissioners: FOAD. Eff education. Kids don't need that.

Mind you, we're spending more than $4m a year on the ballpark and the skating rink which both recorded over $10m in losses last year alone.

We got an email from our department telling us they can't keep us all and that we're already behind in our job search given this current economy.

We have no recall laws and no special election laws (unless they all resign, which isn't likely) -- the only way they can be removed from power is by election in 2010.

Just wondering Andy, what is your job? I mean you say the board says eff to education so I'm wondering what is your job pertaining to the education part.

What has ticked me off in the past is for school systems to put more emphasis on activities other than education and then when there is a short coming, the NEA and the like tell the kids to go home and tell their parents that the schools need more, not less. What this country needs is to put a whole lot more emphasis on basic education and let the secondary activities come as the money comes in.

Maybe there should be more privatizing of the schools and let parents decide where to put their children. But I know that the NEA is totally opposed to that idea, or at least the idea of the schools losing money or private schools gaining money from the government.

A nice new gym, a brand new ball park, all of that is great and all of the people that go along with it, but are they really gutting the education department for those things? Give the real teachers more money and let them teach. That is what I'd like to see.

Lastly, today I visited my old hometown site in Oklahoma. Mind you that this town is a small town, roughly 5,000, but they have a nice site. I looked at the schools and clicked around to see if I knew anyone that might be teaching or working for the city. I found lots of things at that site, including the curricula. Very limited in the sports category with boys football and basketball being the main stays, but they also have baseball, tennis, golf and a few other sports as well. Then I looked at the schools staff and the site lists the pay scale for the public schools there. This is what floored me...the top paying salary is 46,000 a year and that takes a Phd with over 25 years of service. When you look at the people who are the teachers, it's no wonder that the oldest member is probably no more than 40 years old.

Sorry Andy, you just got me on a rant. I'm off the soapbox now. But seriously, what is your job withing the school system?

This could be a window of opportunity. You have often said how you hated living in Murderland. Now you can follow your dreams. Explore the US. Find that special corner that you'll be proud to call home. Pack your car, stock up on bread and peanut butter and let the winds be your guide. You're young. This is but a minor speed bump in life.

pl_IK10_detail_1.png

Just wondering Andy, what is your job? I mean you say the board says eff to education so I'm wondering what is your job pertaining to the education part.

What has ticked me off in the past is for school systems to put more emphasis on activities other than education and then when there is a short coming, the NEA and the like tell the kids to go home and tell their parents that the schools need more, not less. What this country needs is to put a whole lot more emphasis on basic education and let the secondary activities come as the money comes in.

Maybe there should be more privatizing of the schools and let parents decide where to put their children. But I know that the NEA is totally opposed to that idea, or at least the idea of the schools losing money or private schools gaining money from the government.

A nice new gym, a brand new ball park, all of that is great and all of the people that go along with it, but are they really gutting the education department for those things? Give the real teachers more money and let them teach. That is what I'd like to see.

Lastly, today I visited my old hometown site in Oklahoma. Mind you that this town is a small town, roughly 5,000, but they have a nice site. I looked at the schools and clicked around to see if I knew anyone that might be teaching or working for the city. I found lots of things at that site, including the curricula. Very limited in the sports category with boys football and basketball being the main stays, but they also have baseball, tennis, golf and a few other sports as well. Then I looked at the schools staff and the site lists the pay scale for the public schools there. This is what floored me...the top paying salary is 46,000 a year and that takes a Phd with over 25 years of service. When you look at the people who are the teachers, it's no wonder that the oldest member is probably no more than 40 years old.

Sorry Andy, you just got me on a rant. I'm off the soapbox now. But seriously, what is your job withing the school system?
Cutting funding for the extra stuff is fine and dandy. However, around here, the County would rather have those because it is effective in giving kids something to do and keeping them out of gangs and stuff. There's next to nothing else for high school kids to do - the sports programs are a necessity here.

The problem here is the funding requested was emergency funding. The BOE was asking for the bare minimum to keep basic day-to-day operations next year. ****, they didn't have enough for health benefits (hurry up Obama Health Reform:mad:) for next year. The amount they asked for wouldn't have even covered employees' benefits packages.

I work at a school which has no air conditioning in half the building that can't be fixed because of budget shortfalls. We can't afford to maintain the technology we have. We have schools in serious need of renovations.

The County just flipped the bird at all those kids, their parents and the teachers.

Buck, I work in technology. Now, I can put 2 and 2 together. If they can't keep schools open next year, I know there's no way in hell they can keep 20-something full-time technicians. And considering my boss doesn't like me -- I can figure out who she'll recommend go first.

It pisses me off that they won't use the emergency reserve for an emergency like keeping public schools open, but the commissioners can use $10m out of that reserve to operate a ballpark and to operate an ice skating rink. :mad:

I'm sorry, it doesn't piss me off -- it infuriates me.

They've talked about a 4 day week as it would save millions -- but the parents object in large numbers. A good number of parents feel the schools are a socialized day care service -- and they see day care as an entitlement. So, no way will they pay for day care services for a day. Even if it means bankrupting the school system. :rolleyes:

Andy, as bp said, this is an open window of opportunity for you. Listen, you might believe that you can't start over now, but you are still in the infancy of your job career. I started totally over at the age of 45 and very much in debt. I picked up and move to a totally new area and began again. My life now is so much better than it has ever been during my life time. And, though it would be much harder for me now, I could still do it again. You have to want to do something like this pretty bad to do it, but it will pay off for you in the end. Don't wait for something to find you, you have to dig and find it for yourself. You have to be in control of your own destiny.

BTW, as to your favoring the Big O's health plan, think of this. In Canada these days, the hospitals are asking for people to please die at home instead of in the hospitals. 60% of deaths there in Canada occur in the hospital and they say that if that number could move downward to more like 40%, it would free up more beds for those waiting for surgery etc. Sounds good to me, if yer gonna die, you might as well die in your own bed instead of the hospital where medical personel would be able to assist you. :rolleyes:

I have no intention of dying in a hospital, or at home. I intend to die across all 6 lanes of highway 15, a little bit in each one if possible. I expect to be buried in the bucket they collected me in.

Andy, as bp said, this is an open window of opportunity for you. Listen, you might believe that you can't start over now, but you are still in the infancy of your job career. I started totally over at the age of 45 and very much in debt. I picked up and move to a totally new area and began again. My life now is so much better than it has ever been during my life time. And, though it would be much harder for me now, I could still do it again. You have to want to do something like this pretty bad to do it, but it will pay off for you in the end. Don't wait for something to find you, you have to dig and find it for yourself. You have to be in control of your own destiny.

I have some promising things going here. The lack of media coverage for the local racetracks has really opened up a window. And one of the big drag racing reporters here just retired after 37 years. But it's not anything I can build a full time career around, just yet.

BTW, as to your favoring the Big O's health plan, think of this. In Canada these days, the hospitals are asking for people to please die at home instead of in the hospitals. 60% of deaths there in Canada occur in the hospital and they say that if that number could move downward to more like 40%, it would free up more beds for those waiting for surgery etc. Sounds good to me, if yer gonna die, you might as well die in your own bed instead of the hospital where medical personel would be able to assist you. :rolleyes:

Any health care is better than none. I looked up independent providers a while ago and it would cost well over $500/month. I just can't afford that.

agreed 100%

i agree with bp and buck, andy. take this as an opportunity to get the hell out of dodge before they decide whether to keep you or not. finding a new job is tough now but they are out there if you apply yourself to getting one. you're smart and there's a lot of tech jobs available. start cracking and get your resume out there. time to start looking at the glass as being half full. :)

Sorry to hear that, Andy. Unfortunately, schools all over the nation are in the same boat. I was surprised that our budget passed, but there's been a lot of cuts.

You are young and now is the time to make a move if you want. It's much harder when you get older, have a home, a family, etc. The good thing is, you're in tech. Other than nursing, that's probably one of the better fields to be in. Good luck.

Andy, it's great that you want to be a race reporter, but you aren't going to be able to make a good living doing that. You HAVE to be in the right place at the right time. I have a friend who writes about racing and has worked for National Speed Sport News, as well as other publications. He is the one who was responsible for getting the wife and I into luxury suites at Lowes Motor Speedway. This man has been from rags to riches and then back again. Right now he mostly covers the NHRA, but just here and there. He is able to get a few things in NASCAR, but those gigs are mostly giving garage tours. You'd be better off starting your own business (IT wise) than pursuing a journalistic career, but if that is what you want, go for it. Good luck with what ever it is that you chase.

Andy the hand writing is on the wall, go out into the world and explore. Like Buck and BP have said you are young, I assume single, perfect opportunity for you the go on a "road trip". On another note my niece just got laid off starting the end of the school year. She is a teacher in Palmer, they gave all the teachers in the Palmer school system pink slips last Friday! The planning bored or Budget director will decide by the start of next school year who gets called back or laid off completely. No money in the budget and the kids suffer....way to go.

sorry to hear this Andy. I think you would do great as a race reporter.
when one door shuts,another door opens.you deserve better.always remember this: If He brings you to it, He'll see you through it.
hang in there I'll be praying for you.

Any health care is better than none. I looked up independent providers a while ago and it would cost well over $500/month. I just can't afford that.

We need some kind of health care here. My dad lost his job last April and in September had a horrible case of pneumonia. Now he owes like $20,000, it's ridiculous. They sent like every member of the hospital staff to see him for like 5 minutes and each person bills him for $1,000

The only thing that makes it worse is the fact that our department is going to try to fire 6 people before July. See, if they do that, they don't have to lay anyone off and don't have to pay towards unemployment.

Guess who found out today they're one of the lucky 6 who have been reassigned awaiting termination?

I've got stuff packed now. If I don't find a decent job in DC/NoVA/SoMD by the end of June, I'm moving to Hampton Roads and never coming back.

The only thing that makes it worse is the fact that our department is going to try to fire 6 people before July. See, if they do that, they don't have to lay anyone off and don't have to pay towards unemployment.

Guess who found out today they're one of the lucky 6 who have been reassigned awaiting termination?

I've got stuff packed now. If I don't find a decent job in DC/NoVA/SoMD by the end of June, I'm moving to Hampton Roads and never coming back.

This recession really sucks, it is hurting everything. I sell on eBay a lot and it has dropped off to almost zero. Good luck finding a good job in your area.

lose the local area noose around your neck. go for the job, not where it's located (within reason). have you applied for border patrol? <g>

Back
Top Bottom