Pit Road Speeds Not Allowed On TV

kat2220

Super Moderator
Staff member
TV Not Allowed To Show Pit Road Speeds
While viewers can see how fast cars are going on the track during races, NASCAR does not allow TV networks to display speeds and other data on pit road, officials with NBC and TNT confirmed on Wednesday. Speeds on pit road have been on the minds of many fans and competitors since Sunday's race at California Speedway. In that race, eventual winner Kasey Kahne was penalized for speeding on pit road while Dale Earnhardt Jr. - right on Kahne's bumper - was not.

All of NASCAR's TV partners - including Fox and FX, which carried the first half of the season - display telemetry during the races. Viewers can see how fast cars are going on the track and such details as the amount of braking and engine RPMs, too. The networks have the capability to show the information on pit road, just as they do under green-flag conditions during the races, but NASCAR won't allow it.

"We are not allowed to use any telemetry on pit road, as per NASCAR," NBC spokeswoman Alana Russo said.

Asked if TNT wanted to display the information or felt that race fans might want to see it, the cable network answered with a statement from executive producer Jeff Behnke:

"We've discussed it with NASCAR and it is a competition decision, which obviously takes precedence over television enhancements."

Pit road penalties have long been a source of debate among fans and competitors, not just since the Labor Day weekend Cup race. Before the 2005 season, NASCAR officials using stopwatches made random checks of cars on pit road, calculating average speeds between two points.(That's Racin')

This is one way NASCAR can control what they want. Yes, they really do want to control things and this is one place where they can. Of course, the teams can appeal all of them, but what the hell, when a race is over, it's pretty hard to make up the difference. Yeah, they've done it in the past, i.e. Sonoma, but that's pretty unusual. They just don't want to open the door for television to dictate what happens anywhere on the track.

what does trackpass do on pit road if you're tracking your fav driver? go blank?

What, no "Conspiracy Theory". Everyone knows that it is because they are favoring Jeff Gordon and Jr. :)

It seems to me that Nascar (or someone) could come up with a 'pit road' speedometer for the cars. "Calibrated" before the race, linked to where-ever and if a driver speeds, they know, the officials know, and penalties can be properly dispensed. Use Gps, telemtry, whatever works...

A better question would be, why aren't drivers/teams installing speedometers for pit road on their own? Obviously marking your rpm's isn't working.

Heck, AdvanceAuto sells speedometers for around 50 bucks!

I can't understand why teams haven't brought radar guns to pit road. During practice their driver could come down pitroad, check their rpms and know exactly what speed they are at.
Seems a lot better than doing it 10 cars back from the pace car two minutes before the green flag.

They could install a speedometer, but the gearing of it to make it accurate would have to be changed every time they change the gearing within the transmission or even the rear gear.

They could install a speedometer, but the gearing of it to make it accurate would have to be changed every time they change the gearing within the transmission or even the rear gear.

Maybe I don't know much about setting these cars up (ok, that's fact), but this sounds pretty minor in the whole scheme of things...

Seems like there should be some 'digital' version that lets you keep the gearing of the speedometer and recalculate the speed readout...

I believe NASCAR outlaws any speed measuring device in the ****pit of the cars, and telemetry is not allowed, so even if there were a sensor, the CC couldn't read it.

Thanks MH...that clears thing up for me...

I had momentarily forgetten that we're working within the 'rules of Nascar' where it only makes sense that they would
a) Outlaw any sort of speed measuring device and then
b) Make a rule about speeding.

Who says rules have to make sense!?

:cheers:

Huh?

Lets see. If the tachometer is used to maintain 40 or 50 mph... then does that not MAKE the tachometer a "speed measuring device"?
If they need a certain speed they need SOMETHING to measure by!
Betsy:rolleyes:

To me it makes no sense. There is a speed limit but you have to guess what your speed is. Sounds pretty stupid to me. Don't indy cars have speedometers?

Lets see. If the tachometer is used to maintain 40 or 50 mph... then does that not MAKE the tachometer a "speed measuring device"?
If they need a certain speed they need SOMETHING to measure by!
Betsy:rolleyes:
technically not i guess....

and yes, pretty much. as to IRL having speedometers, i'm not sure if they do....

Back
Top Bottom