2005 NASCAR Nextel Cup Schedule

N

Nascar24rainbow

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- NASCAR announced Friday the next phase in the sanctioning body's schedule realignment process. Keeping pace with the increasing demands of NASCAR's nationwide growth in popularity, the 36-race 2005 NASCAR Nextel Cup Series schedule has been adjusted to address that growth, via the following changes:

New NASCAR Nextel Cup race dates have been sanctioned at Texas Motor Speedway and Phoenix International Raceway. Texas Motor Speedway's new event will be held on Nov. 6; as the season's 34th event, it will be crucial in the 10-race "Chase for the NASCAR Nextel Cup" that determines the series champion. Phoenix International Raceway's new race will be on Saturday night, April 23. Texas retains its spring date (April 17), while Phoenix retains the next-to-last slot on the schedule (Nov. 13).

North Carolina Speedway will not be on the schedule after this season.

Darlington Raceway now will have one date on the schedule, with the track's fall race moving from Nov. to the evening of Saturday, May 7.

California Speedway will have the first of its two events on Feb. 27, one week after the season-opening Daytona 500 -- the date previously held by North Carolina Speedway. Thus, the series will now travel from the season's biggest race to the nation's second-largest market. California's other race will remain on Labor Day weekend (Sept. 4).

In Jan. 2003, NASCAR announced "Realignment 2004 and Beyond." The plan calls for regular review of race dates and locations in order to continue bringing the most competitive racing in the world to the widest possible audience, and providing the kind of value that has proven NASCAR to be one of the very best sports properties.

"The 2005 schedule marks an important milestone in NASCAR's realignment efforts because it provides opportunities for more fans to experience first-hand NASCAR Nextel Cup events near their hometowns," said NASCAR Chairman and CEO Brian France.

The schedule continues to reflect the increasing demand for races throughout the country. In 2005, the Southeast will continue to be well-served with great racing in Richmond, Charlotte, Atlanta, Daytona Beach and many others; additionally, NASCAR continues to reach out to new fans in the Northeast, Midwest, Southwest, and the West.

The 2005 season -- NASCAR's 57th -- will open on Sunday, Feb. 20 with the Daytona 500 at Daytona International Speedway.

In addition, NASCAR officials announced that the NASCAR Preseason Thunder test sessions will return to Daytona International Speedway in Jan. 2005.

Tentative 2005 NASCAR Nextel Cup Series schedule:

Feb. 12 -- Budweiser Shootout -- Daytona International Speedway

Feb. 20 -- Daytona International Speedway

Feb. 27 -- California Speedway

March 13 -- Las Vegas Motor Speedway

March 20 -- Atlanta Motor Speedway

April 3 -- Bristol Motor Speedway

April 10 -- Martinsville Speedway

April 17 -- Texas Motor Speedway

April 23 -- Phoenix International Raceway

May 1 -- Talladega Superspeedway

May 7 -- Darlington Raceway

May 14 -- Richmond International Raceway

May 21 -- NASCAR Nextel All-Star Challenge -- Lowe's Motor Speedway

May 29 -- Lowe's Motor Speedway

June 5 -- Dover International Speedway

June 12 -- Pocono Raceway

June 19 -- Michigan International Speedway

June 26 -- Infineon Raceway

July 2 -- Daytona International Speedway

July 10 -- Chicagoland Speedway

July 17 -- New Hampshire International Speedway

July 24 -- Pocono Raceway

Aug. 7 -- Indianapolis Motor Speedway

Aug. 14 -- Watkins Glen International

Aug. 21 -- Michigan International Speedway

Aug. 27 -- Bristol Motor Speedway

Sept. 4 -- California Speedway

Sept. 10 -- Richmond International Raceway

Sept. 18 -- New Hampshire International Speedway

Sept. 25 -- Dover International Speedway

Oct. 2 -- Talladega Superspeedway

Oct. 9 -- Kansas Speedway

Oct. 15 -- Lowe's Motor Speedway

Oct. 23 -- Martinsville Speedway

Oct. 30 -- Atlanta Motor Speedway

Nov. 6 -- Texas Motor Speedway

Nov. 13 -- Phoenix International Raceway

Nov. 20 -- Homestead-Miami Speedway

The 2005 schedule looks pretty good. A 500 mile night race at Darlington during Mothers Day weekend is going to be a good race, but I'm disappointed with NASCAR ending the Southern 500 after this year. Also moving Califonia to the 2nd race of the year was a good move.

my question is what tracks get the axe when the northwest track is built, and the new york track, possibly watkins glen and ??

This seems to be the trend now that the Rock is out. NASCAR is officially moving west. Any opinion on this. I think it is a good thing for NASCAR. They move out here and open the doors to more markets.

this sucks, they are taking out the tracks that started nascar and giving 2 races to cookie cutter tracks.

why does caif and texas need a 2ed date anyway?
i think most tracks should olny have one date (Dega and Daytona, Alanta, Lowes, 2 dates) the rest should be 1 race at tracks all over the us, (Nashville, KY, ect ect) so more fans can see a cup race.

but as i said before if Kentucky gets a date, i dont think i would go cause dega is about the same miles and would rather go there.

and they keep pushing dega back a few weeks every year, wont be to long and the race will be in the heat of summer and them no one will go there.

this just sucks.....nascar sure has been making me mad the past few years! :angry:

Now that I have to agree with you. NASCAR should have only one date as most tracks except for Daytona, Dega, Atlanta and Lowes and expand further into other markets.

On the other hand it is all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Very true WOP!

I would rather see 1 race at 2 tracks the same then 2 races at the same track.....but "Nascar is a family sport, we do what the France family tells us to do"

While I'm delighted at TMS getting a 2nd date, I did NOT want it at the expense of Darlington or The Rock.

But, as others have said, it's all about the $$$$$.

Well. for those that question why some tracks get 2 dates and other not, here's my take on it (at least where it concerns Texas).

Yes, it does come down to the almighty dollar. But that also means it gives people that live around those 2 date tracks more of a chance to catch a race. We (at TMS) had what had to be 80,000+ show up for the Busch race this year. A Busch race!!! This area, like California is hungry for racing. Texas already hosts 2 truck and 2 IRL races and now 2 Cup and 1 Busch race (since they haven't mentioned if the Busch series will be traveling to TMS for the second date), that shows that there is a big hunger for racing in this region. I wonder what will happen if the Houston Superspeedway ever comes to fruition? Now that would be interesting.

Now, why don't they go to other tracks? Infrastructure. You've got to be able to provide a place that people will want to go to, and be able to handle everything that comes with it. The smaller markets that have lost their races simply can't do that. Nor can the exisiting ones who currently host only Busch or Truck races (ever see how many people are actually in the stands??). Don't blame Nascar for going where the money is. If all the people that complain about Nascar abandoning the tracks that helped build the sport actually went and supported those tracks, then there wouldn't be the need to worry about it.

Well....better get ont he horn with TMS to see about getting first dibs on tha secind date!! WOO HOO!!!

I belive Nashville has places for ppl to stay and stuff to do before and afterthe race.

Sparta ky, well the part i seen was not much there, but go a few miles down the road and it gets a lot better.

I heard that Nextel phone service was out in the Carolinas to from about 4 AM till sometime after 11 AM.

I'm sure that made a big impression on the same day of the schedule change announcement. :D

No one will ever convince me that two wreckfests a year at talladega are preferable to two Darlington races.

No one will ever convince me that two races a year at New Hampshire makes more sense than one at Rockingham.

Oh, and who loses the next race? Martinsville. Book it.

why are they getting rid of racing at The rock. that really angers me, but it is going to be awsome to see a night race at darlington!!!

Originally posted by EatMorePossum@May 14 2004, 12:35 PM
No one will ever convince me that two wreckfests a year at talladega are preferable to two Darlington races.

No one will ever convince me that two races a year at New Hampshire makes more sense than one at Rockingham.

I couldn't agree more, EMP. I have never thought that ANY of the races at New Hampshire were ever exciting! And, as I have said time and time again, I certainly didn't want Texas' 2nd date to come at the expense of Rockingham or Darlington.

Originally posted by Lap3Forever@May 14 2004, 12:25 PM
I belive Nashville has places for ppl to stay and stuff to do before and afterthe race.

Sparta ky, well the part i seen was not much there, but go a few miles down the road and it gets a lot better.
Well, with only a seating capacity of 25,000 I would say the chances of getting a Cup race at Nashvile are ZERO. Now Kentucky, they have decent seating capacity 66,000+ and look to have room to expand, I think falls victim of being too close to all those east coast tracks.

Oh well, NASCAR is heading west wether we like it or not!

Originally posted by EatMorePossum@May 14 2004, 12:35 PM

Amen, EMP.

Just wish there was a cup race with in a days drive of me (drive down before the race and come home after) but thats dega and thats 6 hours from me.

Well it looks like im going back in to dirt track mode and not going to worry about nascar for a while.

I dont care if Nascar heads west... but at least replace the tracks with innovative tracks, short tracks, road courses, something... we have enough cookie cutters as it is. Hopefully the northwest area steps up and builds a Rockingham replica.

Why does anyone wonder why the races are being cut from Rockingham and Darlington. Empty seats at Rockingham (most years) and a struggle to sell out Darlington. On top of this both of those tracks hold around 60K seats. I am not denying their importance to history; however, you have to wonder why all those screaming and shouting were when they were asked to stand up and buy tickets???

Aggiewes

I'm all for westward expansion as I've stated before (Pike Peak Int. Raceway could handle a date!!)...Nascar has to try and some opportunities for the rest of the country....

Which leads me to a totally crazy idea...what if there were two DIVISIONS of Nascar? East vs West. US vs THEM. Oldschool vs. Newschool.

Most importantly, a 'playoff' that would actually mean something.

I dunno. Looks pretty good on screen....no wait it looks stupid....no, good!...stupid...good....

Originally posted by Splunge@May 14 2004, 03:03 PM
Which leads me to a totally crazy idea...what if there were two DIVISIONS of Nascar? East vs West. US vs THEM. Oldschool vs. Newschool.

I dunno. Looks pretty good on screen....no wait it looks stupid....no, good!...stupid...good....
Sounds like a good idea but.......................could you sell out a track knowing that Dale Jr or Jeff Gordon wouldn't be there?

Well, everytime I've been there, Atlanta has had poor attendance. Think Bruton will mind if we take one of those dates and give it to a random ISC cookie cutter track?

Well i can't speek for tracks/races that dont sell out, cause Dega both times looked really full.

I think im going to try to get seasion tickets to nashville for next year, if i can....

Originally posted by bowtie@May 14 2004, 04:18 PM

Sounds like a good idea but.......................could you sell out a track knowing that Dale Jr or Jeff Gordon wouldn't be there?
Throw Harvick and Stewart in there with the other two MIAs and I'll sell plasma for a ticket. :p

I don't know why everyone is so surprised about Rockingham being dropped and Darlington losing one of it's dates. Those two tracks have for years been struggling to fill the stands. Everyone screams don't drop them, but those same people haven't been buying the tickets to go........and that would have solved that problem. You can't blame NASCAR for moving the dates around and dropping money losers in favor of more profitable markets. This game of big league racing is not just a hobby......it's a business. It's a big and very successful business and they did not get to that position in the sports/entertainment industry by sitting on tracks and venues that were losing money for them. Any business that does sit on money pits will not be in business for long. Maybe the people in the North/South Carolina and Virginia region will get the wake up call now...........start supporting your tracks or lose them. And the reason New Hampshire and Dover are not losing dates is because the fans in those regions attend the races............they support the tracks. History is fine, but if you spend all your time in history then you wind up being history. Rockingham has put it's mark on NASCAR's history (Like North Hillsboro) but now they are just part of history.......time to move on.

Well I can complain since I've been attending the races at Rockingham and Darlington for a few years now. I couldn't save it by myself! :lol: I just think that before they gave up on those tracks, they should've at least moved the race dates to decent weather, and if it still didn't fill up, then move the dates.

Turtle, have you ever been in the eastern part of the San Gabriel Valley in late September? It's not abnormal for 100+ degrees (even in the evenings). And two weeks ago it was 100 degrees. Watch, California will still sell out. And for the first date being moved to February us fans will have to put up with 40 degree weather with a pretty good chance of it being windy...........wind chills will be down there. It'll sell out too.

Yeah, I know you can't buy all the seats at the tracks...........but the population in the region could. They are the ones who let the tracks lose the dates. Five years from now we'll be griping about something else and The Rock will be just a memory like North Wilkesboro.......we will survive!! :)

Well, I know California would sell out no matter what time of year its in because there are so many people that live around there, and its one of the few tracks in that area. But at a track that has trouble selling out anyways, to put the date in the worst weather season, is like signing its death certificate.

You know Vegas is in the worst weather season for that area and it sells out every year and they keep adding more seats. I'm glad they moved Vegas up a week,2 would of been great ,but i'll take the extra week. It will be a little warmer at least. Sad to see the Rock go , but business is business. PPIR will possibly get a date in 06 or 07 according to all the talk around here in the Springs, of course they will have to add about 50,000 seats and improve the traffic snarl,but it is very feasible. PPIR is great track, although it is flat there are many grooves for racing and it is 1.0 mi in length. Would love to see it...i live about 15 minutes from the track!

I'm all for westward expansion as I've stated before (Pike Peak Int. Raceway could handle a date!!)...Nascar has to try and some opportunities for the rest of the country....

I really believe this IS the direction Brian France is moving towards. I think within the next 4 years this will be the plan. <_<

Originally posted by Mopardh9@May 15 2004, 08:40 AM
You know Vegas is in the worst weather season for that area and it sells out every year and they keep adding more seats. I'm glad they moved Vegas up a week,2 would of been great ,but i'll take the extra week. It will be a little warmer at least. Sad to see the Rock go , but business is business. PPIR will possibly get a date in 06 or 07 according to all the talk around here in the Springs, of course they will have to add about 50,000 seats and improve the traffic snarl,but it is very feasible. PPIR is great track, although it is flat there are many grooves for racing and it is 1.0 mi in length. Would love to see it...i live about 15 minutes from the track!
Yes, I don't live in CO any more, but I went to PPIR for a Busch race the first year it ran there and absolutly loved it. That's a great track with room for lots of expansion. It would thrill me to see a Cup date there.

I could've easily done without a 2nd Phoenix,Texas and California dates,losing both "The Rock" dates and 1 of the Darlington's race dates was a very poor exchange IMHO the fan sgot screwed again. :p Thanks NASCAR :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
At least the short track and road course events haven't been changed YET,but that schedule could still change as it's tentitive and not yet official,so still holding My breath here but IMO enough changes already. ;)

I thought they made some pretty good decisions, I do wish that these races could stick around, but If there are no fans going to the races, then why be there? I am In favor of the move throughout the country. Baseball, Football, and Basketball had to do it...

I like how they phrased it...it gives nascar fans around the country a chance to watch a race...and it only builds up more fans. I mean, I really love it when they go to Rockingham, but if no one goes there, they are wasting time, and it is the fans fault for not wanting to see it. I do think that they should change it to where every race track gets one date, and add more tracks. (With the exception of Daytona, and beginning and middle of the year...)

I couldn't agree more. With a population of nearly 300 million surely there's enough juice there to keep everyone fat and giggly (quoting cosmo kramer).

There no shortage of tracks and more people get to see races. Seems simple enough.

I have a feeling that it's only a matter of time before some enterprising outfit gives Nascar some competition.

Bruton Smith is the Grim Reaper for racetracks. He doesn't care about racing. He cares about his wallet. I do however understand why NA$CAR left the Rock in the dust even though it was one of my favorites.

Why does Pocono still have 2 dates. I love the racing there, but I wouldn't pay to see a race there.

I think NA$CAR could rotate dates. One year race at the Rock, the next go to Kentucky or whatever. Just don't take a race from Bruton Smith or he buy up the offending track and shut it down.

racerx11 Posted on May 18 2004, 09:42 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bruton Smith is the Grim Reaper for racetracks.

Sorry, racerx, but Nascar (and ISC) did it this time. Bruton Smith didn't move a race to Phoenix, Nascar did.

Originally posted by racerx11@May 18 2004, 10:25 AM
Thanks for setting me straight. I still dislike him.
Well, I guess you'd rather have all of the tracks owned by ISC/Nascar.................. :huh:

Originally posted by 24thunder@May 15 2004, 05:54 PM
I could've easily done without a 2nd Phoenix,Texas and California dates,losing both "The Rock" dates and 1 of the Darlington's race dates was a very poor exchange IMHO the fan sgot screwed again. :p Thanks NASCAR :rolleyes:&nbsp; :rolleyes:
Actually, it was the fans that screwed themselves by not attending the races. So place the blame, at least in this case, where it belongs.

I'll be at both Texas races (and one of the Truck/IRL weekends) and having been to Phoenix (and going again this year) I could see myself attending both of those.

Originally posted by TeamHendrick+May 18 2004, 12:13 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TeamHendrick @ May 18 2004, 12:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--24thunder@May 15 2004, 05:54 PM
I could've easily done without a 2nd Phoenix,Texas and California dates,losing both "The Rock" dates and 1 of the Darlington's race dates was a very poor exchange IMHO the fan sgot screwed again. :p Thanks NASCAR :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:
Actually, it was the fans that screwed themselves by not attending the races. So place the blame, at least in this case, where it belongs.

I'll be at both Texas races (and one of the Truck/IRL weekends) and having been to Phoenix (and going again this year) I could see myself attending both of those. [/b][/quote]
Actually there still were a lot more TV viewers at home watching those races and getting to see a lot of close finishes,that still brings in $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$,NASCAR's just moving west,so NASCAR's to blame IMHO.

Originally posted by 24thunder@May 18 2004, 06:24 PM

Actually there still were a lot more TV viewers at home watching those races and getting to see a lot of close finishes,that still brings in $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$,NASCAR's just moving west,so NASCAR's to blame IMHO.
True, but low attendance affects the bottom line for the teams. Rusty Wallace (among several drivers discussing Rockingham and Darlington possibly losing dates, before the announcement) mentioned the staggering difference in merchandise sales between those two tracks. Specifically mentioned by Rusty was Texas, where he moves more than 5 times the product than at those two other tracks (with similar results at Vegas and California). While of course everyone gets a slice of the TV money, the guys who bring up the rear at any given race surely welcome the additional income from their haulers. Same goes for the track owners themselves, fewer fans means less $$ from parking, track souveniers, camping/infield fees and concession sales.

Although it is motivated in the end by the almighty $$, the lack of actual fan support at those tracks (tv ratings don't buy hot dogs and driver merchandise, and empty seats when the camera pans across the track sure don't look good) does play just as much of a roll in them losing their dates as Nascars desire to go west.

Back
Top Bottom