Ideal F1 Schedule

donthaveanickname

Team Owner
Following the recent and ongoing schedule discussions and similar to the Ideal Cup schedule thread I thought it'd be fun to think about how our perfect F1 schedule would look like.
I wanted to shorten it to 20 races but too many good tracks came to my mind. Some of the less prestigious races alternate every year.
Sprints are dropped because they don't add anything for me. They could be replaced by a (non-points) dash in equal machinery similar to the BMW M1 Cup from way back or a race against the Top F2 drivers in F2 cars.

1. Melbourne
2. Kyalami
3. Buddh International
4. Fuji
5. Bahrain
6. Barcelona/Baku (rotate every year)
7. Monaco
8. Montreal
9. Miami/Vegas (rotate)
10. Road America
11. Europe (venue changes every year, could be Imola, Portimao, Hockenheim, Paul Ricard, Jerez, Istanbul, Most, Donington...)
12. Zandvoort/Red Bull Ring (rotate)
Exhibition: Nürburgring Nordschleife
13. Silverstone
14. Hungaroring
15. Spa
16. Monza
17. Singapore
18. Austin
19. Mexico City
20. Interlagos
21. Abu Dhabi/Jeddah (rotate)
22. Suzuka

As a non-F1 fan, I'm familiar with only four of these circuits - 7. Monaco, 8. Montreal. 10. Road America, 18. Austin.

As a non-fan, I'm not bound by tradition. I can state without reservation that I would rather watch any other form of motorsports on any other circuit or layout, than to watch a race on the Monaco street circuit. I can't think of a regularly scheduled race that bores me more. It's no longer even a good prelude to Indy and Charlotte; hopefully @donthaveanickname's schedule can replace it with a different circuit for that weekend.

As a non-F1 fan, I'm familiar with only four of these circuits - 7. Monaco, 8. Montreal. 10. Road America, 18. Austin.

As a non-fan, I'm not bound by tradition. I can state without reservation that I would rather watch any other form of motorsports on any other circuit or layout, than to watch a race on the Monaco street circuit. I can't think of a regularly scheduled race that bores me more. It's no longer even a good prelude to Indy and Charlotte; hopefully @donthaveanickname's schedule can replace it with a different circuit for that weekend.
I had written the following to start my reply before I decided "No, I need to actually build this organization's budget spreadsheets for real right now if I need to advise how many hours we have available for a new hire this afternoon":

"I'm going to produce controversy immediately: Monaco's time is up. Shift the date to the modern gambling capital of the world (Vegas) and leave Monaco to have historic races or Formula E or WRC or really a series that could actually overtake in the corners. Sports cars aren't small but having fenders they might actually be able to move each other around a bit and pass."

hopefully @donthaveanickname's schedule can replace it with a different circuit for that weekend.
No, that's impossible.
Monaco is the last race I'd drop from this schedule. Alongside Silverstone, Spa, Monza, Suzuka and Interlagos it's one of the races I consider untouchable. Those are the races that define F1 for me.

Despite the lack of passing I still think Monaco is the most challenging track out there. You get one centimeter off line and you're in the wall.

Australia (Melbourne)
Bahrain (Sakhir)
Malaysia (Sepang)
China (Shanghai)
Central Japan (Fuji)
Spain (MotorLand Aragón)
Monaco
Portugal (Portimão)
Canada (Gilles Villeneuve)
U.S. GP North (Indianapolis GP circuit)
Austria (Red Bull Ring)
Britain (Silverstone)
Germany (Nürburgring GP Strecke)
France (Paul Ricard)
Hungary (Hungaroring)
Belgium (Spa)
Italy (Monza)
Singapore (Marina Bay)
Japan (Suzuka)
U.S. GP South (COTA)
Mexico (Hermanos Rodríguez)
Brazil (Interlagos)
Kuwait (Kuwait Motor Town)
Abu Dhabi (Yas Marina)

That’s the max 24. I tried to be somewhat realistic as far as order but it won’t be perfect, not really sure how to brand the Japanese and American races.

not really sure how to brand the Japanese and American races.
I'd bring back the Pacific Grand Prix for Fuji. Road America would be the Midwest GP.
Kuwait (Kuwait Motor Town)
I would not at all be surprised if that becomes part of the schedule in the near future.
It's a relatively long track with Grade 1 status and yet it only hosts a few middle-east based junior racing series. I'm sure they had more in mind when Tilke got the call to build this track.

I'd make it...but mine be ****post of ovals and dirt

Maybe the most challenging circuit not mentioned is Portimão. That's a top-notch international circuit that now has no international dates.

As far as dropping Monoco, too much of F1's identity is tied to that race. It would be like running the Indycar championship without Indianapolis. Yeah, it's crappy, it's dangerous and it never produces a dedent race, but that race is too important. Without the glitz and glamour of Monoco, F1 would not be the same.

Challenging, yes. Entertaining, no. If no one can get off line, if risk outweighs the reward, we're just waiting for someone to screw up.
Monaco GP weekend is much more entertaining when you watch qualifying as an extension of the race, which it pretty much is. After that, mostly wait for rain or strategy snafus. That part in itself isn’t so entertaining, but they shouldn’t forgo the driving challenge and history of the race for some other glitzy street track like Vegas (which is what it probably be, just in Nice) where they drag race down some huge straights. The race is older than F1 itself, it would be sacrilege to get rid of it at this point.

Monaco GP weekend is much more entertaining when you watch qualifying as an extension of the race, which it pretty much is. After that, mostly wait for rain or strategy snafus.
Oh, remember some of the weather snafus we've had like when Patrese won? The only time Monoco is entertaining is when the snafus strike, but we've had a few good ones.

I would just rather watch Monaco almost exclusively with some in-car camara stuff and live scoring or the leader-board on display. At Monoco an in car camara shot is an incredibile thing and I would enjoy it the entire race.

Maybe from a car that runs somewhere around P10 in the middle of everything.

Back
Top Bottom