How do I start racing?

S

Sheperad

Im currently 18 and want to begin racing; ive heard plenty of steps before more extreme version of racing (F1, NASCAR...)
I would like to work my way up towards the more extremes or become a driver for a company that test already qualifying models. For example prototyping a car before the new arrivals and I would be test driving them to work out enginnering flaws.
My real world experience with racing is slim, but I dont really know where to start. Im willing to dedicate the time and money -if we're being honest- to the sport.

Im currently 18 and want to begin racing; ive heard plenty of steps before more extreme version of racing (F1, NASCAR...)
I would like to work my way up towards the more extremes or become a driver for a company that test already qualifying models. For example prototyping a car before the new arrivals and I would be test driving them to work out enginnering flaws.
My real world experience with racing is slim, but I dont really know where to start. Im willing to dedicate the time and money -if we're being honest- to the sport.
The first step, especially since you said are willing to pay, is to collect as many speeding tickets in one week as possible to prove you can go fast. It will be good experience on future job applications if you get enough of them close enough to race speeds.

Im currently 18
Well, unfortunately you're already too late for big time racing. At your age it is expected that you would have racked up multiple series titles already to get to NASCAR or F1 and you would have needed to start around age 6/7. You can, however, go into short track racing or kart/club racing. The former is oval only but you can actually win money to pay for some of your expenses, there's an ecosystem for selling merchandise to cover additional costs/generate revenue, and the costs for at least dirt racing are reasonably affordable. Kart racing and club racing is exactly what it sounds like: something for which there will never be any great professional opportunities unless you manage to prove yourself as a steady hand and get a factory gig in sports cars (which actually is still theoretically possible for you). However, there's no win/show money involved, so it's all a hobby for you that will probably get expensive.

In oval racing, the cheap options are 4 cylinder stock cars and legend cars. The cheap options in road racing are probably gonna be karts (wide variety!), F500, and Spec Miata.

Go fast turn left. Seriously best of luck, I was 30 when I bought my tuff truck for $300.

First, accept there are going to be drunk idiots who want to crap on your dream. Ignore them.

What actual experience do you have?
Besides random stuff on the highway and sim racing(past time); I've done small scale stuff some atv racing when I was younger mostly. But I want to start from zero basically, I've heard kart racing is a good start but I dont want to go into kart racing and stay there. I want to stick closer to cars if possible

I'd advise 4 cyl over karts then at your age. Buy an $800 dollar civic slap a cage in it and go racing

Well, unfortunately you're already too late for big time racing. At your age it is expected that you would have racked up multiple series titles already to get to NASCAR or F1 and you would have needed to start around age 6/7. You can, however, go into short track racing or kart/club racing. The former is oval only but you can actually win money to pay for some of your expenses, there's an ecosystem for selling merchandise to cover additional costs/generate revenue, and the costs for at least dirt racing are reasonably affordable. Kart racing and club racing is exactly what it sounds like: something for which there will never be any great professional opportunities unless you manage to prove yourself as a steady hand and get a factory gig in sports cars (which actually is still theoretically possible for you). However, there's no win/show money involved, so it's all a hobby for you that will probably get expensive.

In oval racing, the cheap options are 4 cylinder stock cars and legend cars. The cheap options in road racing are probably gonna be karts (wide variety!), F500, and Spec Miata.
For lets say F500 and spec miata, to begin you make your car then start competing? is it that straight forward or there more hoops to it????? Explain the process of joining please

I'd advise 4 cyl over karts then at your age. Buy an $800 dollar civic slap a cage in it and go racing
Lets say I get that civic and add in the cage, do I go to any event I find with a race and no extras I can sign up????

What @kkfan91 said. If you want to start with Miata or Civic, Google for a local sports car club in your area. Those guys can get you started building your skills. Mostly likely other members can either tell you your next steps or at least put you in contact with someone who can.

Consider checking out the '$500 car' series, '24 Hours of LeMons' or 'ChampCar' (note the exact spellings). The LeMons rule book alone makes it worth visiting their site.

What @kkfan91 said. If you want to start with Miata or Civic, Google for a local sports car club in your area. Those guys can get you started building your skills. Mostly likely other members can either tell you your next steps or at least put you in contact with someone who can.

Consider checking out the '$500 car' series, '24 Hours of LeMons' or 'ChampCar' (note the exact spellings). The LeMons rule book alone makes it worth visiting their site.
This too, I just know less about grassroots roadcourse stuff

I would do a budget to figure out how much money I had to spend. That will help you to determine your possibilities or limitations.

I would go to the local tracks and at least learn how much they charge for entry fees and pit passes etc this is a weekly cost that needs to be a part of your budget.

I would get a pit pass and spend a night in the pit area during a race night. I would talk to crew members drivers etc while they are not busy and ask them how much do they usually spend on fuel and tires per race. Tell them that you are wanting to get into racing and usually they will be happy to tell you.

I would try to race locally if possibile, you will need at least one other crew member at a minimum and the chances are better at finding someone to help if it doesnt involve driving out of town every weekend.

I would avoid buying an expensive trailer and hauler if at all possibile. They are nice but I would only do it I knew I had extra money that exceeded the cost of most everything else. You cant put the hauler on the track. I used to pull a Legends car on an old homemade trailer to out of state races with a 15 year old beater truck. A friend was kind enough to haul my car in his 30 foot enclosed trailer a few times but it forced me to spend three times as much on gas. After a few trips i had to tell him thanks but no thanks.

You have a tough but worthwhile goal. It will be expensive and difficult, so don't let it frustrate you. It is attainable with enough work and perseverance, and maybe some luck.

As others have already posted, there is an age bias about what experience a racer is expected to have. That can be leapfrogged via hard work and talent. Realize that you will be competing against guys and gals who have been racing since they were kids (and already have resources supporting them) so you will have to out-work and out-talent them. Can you do it? Only trying and racing will tell.

Start with something that you can afford, in a lower level program support class. In the U.S. that would probably be a 4-cylinder or 6-cylinder car. Believe it or not, there are many of these that are cheaper to run than a kart. But karts have their plusses too, so if they are convenient to your area go ahead and try them. Or take your street car to an autocross event.

It is a good idea to start learning how to build and maintain race cars, and how race cars work. You will be able to give feedback that will make your car faster, which your crew and owner will appreciate. Some of the classes are college level science. You don't have to become a college graduate, but sometimes that kind of effort can separate you from the pack. Learn to become comfortable speaking to strangers, to business owners, and to large crowds.

If you intend to make the big time, you cannot spend too long in your beginner class. Just a couple of seasons in order to learn the basics. You need to progress up the ranks of your local track to eventually the top class - where you need to become a frequent winner. How do you do this? Impress car owners with your talent - both on the track and in the media. Learn to land and hold onto sponsorship, attract talented mechanics, and build a racing operation.

Once you're a local hot shoe, do not delay looking for touring series races were you can participate. You want to go where bigger-time teams and car owners will also be there and can see you, such as ARCA support races on NASCAR track weekends or USAC races with multiple classes. Again you'll have to impress them with your driving as well as off-track performance... you may also have to bring some money with you. You might also move to where your preferred series has a high representation. For NASCAR that would be Charlotte, NC. For other series, like F1, you might have to pick a team that you'd like to work for and move near their shops. You will need your resume, to bang on doors, and to be prepared to start out sweeping floors. There are a lot of other racers doing this same thing - again you will have to beat them out with good attitude and talent and hard work.

Sometimes top level teams or series have development programs or challenges. Try to get into one if you can (they will more likely invite you if they have seen your past racing success). These programs are usually specific to a certain racing series - for example, NASCAR's Drive for Diversity Program helps women and minorities - take advantage if you can. Some NASCAR teams have their own development programs. F1 also has a driver development program. You'll need to decide which top racing series is your goal, and seek out programs that relate to it.

As you get older the age bias will work against you more and more. But don't take shortcuts (get in over your head) because that can be deadly. Realize that only 40 drivers maximum start a NASCAR Cup race, only 20 start in F1. You are not a failure if you don't make it there. Many successful racers make good livings driving for short track racing sanctioning bodies like WoO and Lucas Oil and ASA just to name a few.

Bottom line: most big name racers admit that hard work and talent and being in the right place at the right time shaped their careers. Start with something manageable for your experience and budget, work to become a contender at that level, then quickly move up to the next faster class (and repeat) - including moving up whole series. When you are able to tour, get yourself into races where the big boys are so you can get noticed. Develop an understanding of how engines and chassis work so you can provide valuable feedback. Develop social and marketing skills that attract sponsorship and support.

It will be quite the adventure, and sometimes the path takes you where you weren't expecting. Embrace it.

Back
Top Bottom