2024 IndyCar News/Misc.

With DCR seemingly being forced to revert to their old method of rotating and spot-starting random drivers over the full season, a reunion with David/HMD would seem to make a lot of sense for next year. Still, it sucks that David’s first opportunity as a paid driver with a big team is over before it ever really started.

The Kenny Wallace interview with Michael Andretti was very interesting. It was nice of Andretti to give his time and answer all those questions. Some of the answers were surprising.

Current team owner, likely to receive a charter when the system is formally announced later this month, asking for at least $10M per. LMAO

PREMA is rumored to have offered $1 million per charter, which would serve as the first known attempt to place a transactional value on the memberships to the club. One team owner who received an inquiry and offer, and asked not to be identified, felt the number needed to be 10 times what was proposed, at a minimum.

Abel Motorsports, who surprised last year by making the field of 33 with RC Enerson, won’t be making an attempt this year after failing to secure funding in time. Official entry will be at 34.

Per TSO, sounds like four Team Penske employees will be serving internal punishment in the form of multi-race suspensions in the wake of the P2P scandal, including President and Newgarden strategist Tim Cindric.

Interesting that no one on the 3 car got hit with a suspension.

I’m sure there are still people who will want them terminated entirely, but for a team that prides itself more than anyone on its 500 legacy it’s a pretty big deal to be sat down for it.

I find it strange that nobody has seen Roger since this came out. Also find it strange that Roger is selling some of his collection of pace cars. Something just doesn't feel right about all of it.

Not much of a suspension when they will be offsight telling the pitbox what to do.

I got a kick when RP told MP that MP was very smart technically. Hahaha, RP still knows how to butter the press up.

I'm a bit concerned with the lack thereof interest wise with the sport. F1 and NASCAR are seeing nice growth comparatively

The Indy 500 looks amazing. It has everything. You turn the TV onto Indycar the following Sunday, to the untrained eye- you wouldn't even see it as the same sport. And it's a street circuit... so poor racing from the POV of the casual viewer who watched the 500 the week before.

On Memorial Day weekend they're one of the largest annual events on the damn planet, then 7 days later it's the c-tier of racing from series that's the b-tier of American motorsports. Indycar needs to find a way to be known to the world outside of racing fans on the 364 non-Indy 500 days.

I'm a bit concerned with the lack thereof interest wise with the sport. F1 and NASCAR are seeing nice growth comparatively
Last year was the most-viewed season since 2011. Nothing crazy, but kept up the momentum of the past several seasons. Almost everything over the offseason and in the early part of this season has been an unmitigated disaster.

The Indy 500 looks amazing. It has everything. You turn the TV onto Indycar the following Sunday, to the untrained eye- you wouldn't even see it as the same sport. And it's a street circuit... so poor racing from the POV of the casual viewer who watched the 500 the week before.

On Memorial Day weekend they're one of the largest annual events on the damn planet, then 7 days later it's the c-tier of racing from series that's the b-tier of American motorsports. Indycar needs to find a way to be known to the world outside of racing fans on the 364 non-Indy 500 days.
The series markets the 500 almost to a fault. I mean, we all know how big of a deal that event is. Many people do - and that really isn’t likely to change. But you can’t flip the calendar to June right after the race and be like “Is it May yet?”. That’s about 80% of the marketing effort. This series has tons of problems to work on, but the promotional strategy is an especially critical one. Imagine if the month of February passed and NASCAR social admins quickly jumped into quirky “iS iT dAyToNa YeT?” posts every single day for the rest of the year.

Not to mention you build up to your big event on an oval ....and yes I know they added more this year but this is my Indycar hill I will die on as someone who was first exposed to the IRL...but then have the majority of races on roadcourses which I'm sorry to say are mostly interesting only if you like boring strategy discussion that takes away from again in my opinion actual competitive racing if they were all stretching fuel and undercutting. I know this is just a me personally thing which is why I don't go out of my way to watch unless NASCAR isn't on.

Not to mention you build up to your big event on an oval ....and yes I know they added more this year but this is my Indycar hill I will die on as someone who was first exposed to the IRL...but then have the majority of races on roadcourses which I'm sorry to say are mostly interesting only if you like boring strategy discussion that takes away from again in my opinion actual competitive racing if they were all stretching fuel and undercutting. I know this is just a me personally thing which is why I don't go out of my way to watch unless NASCAR isn't on.
I wish they had a few more oval races - I really do. They finally figured Texas out. Tracks like Homestead and Chicagoland, which they used to run, would be great with this car. Attendance and TV viewership, for a multitude of reasons, just hasn’t translated. That insane Fontana race in 2016 must’ve had maybe 5,000 fans in attendance, and a number of their other efforts since then haven’t been much better. None of which is helped by the fact that no one in the series has attempted to promote since Randy Bernard.

Penske as the owner of IMS has been great. Penske as the owner of IndyCar, not so much. And the series is probably worth nothing without the Speedway, so I think we’re probably stuck with the current arrangement for the foreseeable future.

More towards your original point, road and street racing has a lot more variables that dictate how ‘good’ a race will be. When you make these guys push you get an awesome product more often than not - Barber, for instance, was phenomenal. But it usually depends on having a race distance long enough for three stops, so you have larger pit windows and more ability to burn fuel and tires rather than be forced into conservation mode. When NBC took over St. Pete from ABC they cut it down from 110 laps to 100, and the fuel economy is such that you can now make it a two-stop race with enough fuel save. When they had that Harvest GP weekend at the IMS RC in 2020 there was even a huge difference between running 75 laps in one race and 85 laps in the other.

Back
Top Bottom